Chassis complaint!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyl

Explorer
Why do most Mini ATX cases hold 4+ HD's, and most Micro ATX cases hold a max of 3 HDs

I just want a smaller cool looking Micro ATX case that holds 4+HDs... gezzzzzzz

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Wyl,

I think this is what you would call a physics problem.

You want more drives, you simply need a bigger case!

Have you considered an HP Microserver? Tiny little cube, 4 drives (5 if you use the ODD slot).

-Will

Wyl

Explorer
My problem is the Mini case is smaller then Micro case.

Why does the smaller cases hold more!!!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I think the original point was something about comparing small mini-ITX cases to small micro-ATX cases. But the point didn't make much sense since there are mini-ITX cases that don't even have space for a single 3.5" drive (2.5" only), and some darn nice looking mini-ITX's like the one Veti just pointed out. As for micro-ATX, since you can jam those into pretty much any can you wish, including ones that have many 5.25" bays and can can accommodate lots of drives (again, Veti has a good find there) ... what I kind of wish for is a larger 8-to-10 drive small NAS package that didn't seem to need a full-size ATX case.

Wyl

Explorer
My issue is I want the Fractal 304, or Lian-Li P25Q.... But I want to purchase a Micro-ATX board for more versatility with the server I am building. Every time I see a Micro-ATX case I like it only holds 3 drives.

It just more of a rant then a cry for help :)

JayG30

Contributor
I concur with the thread starter.
I actually would prefer a mATX setup because then I could;
  1. Fit 32GB of RAM
  2. Have extra PCI slots
  3. Get a server grade motherboard (and ECC RAM)
And probably other reasons as well. However, I have a hard time finding a mATX case that actually looks like a NAS or would offer multiple hot-swap drive bays like the one linked above from istarusa. If they made those 7+ bay cases with a mATX form factor I'd be all over it. Sadly all the NAS cases are mITX. To this point the Lian-Li cases have been the closest I've found. And I've found ZERO mATX with even the possibility for a hot-swap setup.

Veti

Dabbler
i dont understand what you mean.

the linked istarusa case is matx with 9 bays = 15 hotwap drive bays

JayG30

Contributor
Ah, missed the 9 bay option. Only saw the first 3 that were all mITX. I'll have to take a look at it now. Wish the 7 bay was a mATX.

Still thought, not many options. And honestly, I'm not seeing istarusa cases very accessible. Do you have a decent site to purchase them from?

JayG30

Contributor
Yea I noticed that. Can't find them anywhere.

I have the arc mini for a desktop machine actually. They are nice mATX cases but my problem with them is they aren't really NAS cases. Nothing about them really is. No hot-swap or front drive accessibility. Not even an option to do those things. I mean, honestly, the fractal design node 304 offers the same number of 3.5" drive bays and is a mITX case. It comes back to what the case was designed for. Those cases are design for desktops where they mix/match 5.25 and 3.5 bays. I either want all 3.5" bays or all 5.25" drive bays (so I can use a 5in3 cage module).

Status
Not open for further replies.