Changing Network settings causes loss of connection to iocage jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amsoil_Jim

Contributor
So I am trying to learn and advance my knowledge here.
I have recently setup a pfsense router/firewall and I have configured some VLANs on it, one of which is a VPN connection to AirVPN.
I am continuously reading and watching videos trying to learn how to set this stuff up (it's a fun learning experience)

My goal is to have a "Transmission" iocage jail using the AirVPN VLAN. The firewall rules are setup so traffic can pass across the internal subnets but only exit on the VPN WAN gateway.
My current transmission jails is still in a warden jail and is setup with OpenVPN with firewall rules.

While doing some tinkering in FreeNAS trying to figure things out I keep losing connection to the 3 iocage jails I do have set up, but not to the 2 warden jails I have not changed over yet.
Currently I have 4 Interfaces, only one of these have been setup, "igb0".
The first thing I did that caused loss of connection was setup Interface igb1. I set it up with a static IP for the VLAN subnet range, this did not cause any problems. Once I actually connected a cable to that port is when I lost all connection to the iocage jails. Once I unplugged the cable I had to stop the iocage jail and the start it again to regain access.
Then just now I was checking out the VLAN section seeing how to setup a VLAN in FreeNAS and after setting one up, again I lost connection to the 3 iocage jails again, so i deleted the VLAN and then restarted the iocage jails again. Again the warden jails were not effected.

So I don't quite understand whats going on here. Is something I'm doing causing this to happen because I don't know what I'm doing, or is this some sort of bug relating to iocage?

And if anyone can point me in the right direction for having a jail or many jails use a VLAN that would be great. I would like to have transmission, couchpotato, and sickrage use the VPN VLAN but not Plex.

Edit:So I added the VLAN again and then restarted the iocage jails and they still work, so its literally just any network changes causes the iocage jails to need to be restarted to have network connectivity.
So now I have created a Test_Jail to see about figuring out getting the jail to have network access via the VLAN.
So far I have not had any success. I can see the VLAN interface status is active but thats about it.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

I think it's more of a vlan issue as some vlan operations result in the network restarting. Vlans and laggs will be getting a much needed rewrite for 11.3 to help resolve the restart issues.

wintered

Cadet
I am having similar issues, if my host network is restarted, all the iocage jails end up with no networking until they have restarted.

Status
Not open for further replies.