Changing MAC of the entire server

Tucolol

Cadet
I would like to change the MAC address of the interface/nas as a whole. I have network restrictions where I live and I would like to be able to get around them. I’m able to change it on regular Linux but I can’t figure it out here. Apologies if this is the wrong thread.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I’m able to change it on regular Linux
Does this imply you mean SCALE?

You didn't specify a version of TrueNAS and gave no details of your hardware...

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I have not tested this, but it seems you may get the desired result with ifconfig:
ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:00:2d:3a:2a:28

It may be necessary to re-run that on every startup, so perhaps a postinit script once you confirm it does what you want...

Redcoat

MVP
I have not tested this, but it seems you may get the desired result with ifconfig:
ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:00:2d:3a:2a:28

It may be necessary to re-run that on every startup, so perhaps a postinit script once you confirm it does what you want...
Beat me to it. I think your code will likely work for Scale(Debian) and Core (FreeBSD) but I haven't tested it either. I spoofed MACS at the gateway to avoid having to call my ISP's "customer service" and record a modem change.

Tucolol

Cadet
Does this imply you mean SCALE?

You didn't specify a version of TrueNAS and gave no details of your hardware...
Sorry my bad, I meant regular Linux as in Debian and Ubuntu and what they are based from. It’s just a simple laptop. Can specify hardware if you need once I get to the laptop, but it’s capable of changing it since I’ve done it before on Linux and windows. Using truenas core