Changing hardware from AMD - Intel

lleb

Dabbler
My current system:
Build FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 (561f0d7a1)
Platform AMD FX(tm)-6350 Six-Core Processor
Memory 16302MB
System Time Tue May 07 12:23:39 EDT 2019

Is a solid little build for Plex, but when I try to run Sickrange to grab CC Sub titles for my TV shows and Movies I run out of RAM and the system grinds to a halt. I know that FreeNAS is not a fan of AMD so please do not bother with rants on AMD.

I am running a software RAID6 with the zfs file system.

I have an older i7 3rd gen 1155 socket system that has 32G ram and was am considering making that my new FreeNAS motherboard/CPU/Ram combo.

With that in mind, is it just a simple swap out of parts, reboot, and go, or will FreeNAS (BSD) toss a fit with the change from AMD to Intel like that?

Thank you for the help/guidance.

lleb

Dabbler
Very slow site i see for traffic and help. Bit of a shame as the FreeNAS product is very good.

drinking12many

Contributor
I have moved directly from one amd box to another and other than maybe having to fix network ports etc it should be fine. Is it ideal some may say its not but I have never had problems just moving my USB drive over other than it taking some time to figure out all the devices and maybe fixing network ports.

lleb

Dabbler
Thank you for the feedback drinking12many. I will cross fingers when the time comes that all moves smooth. Just need to figure out how to get the displayport outputs to work under Fedora 29 for my workstation now. That is what freed up my Intel system.

Yorick

Wizard
Wurst comes to wurst, you can always reinstall on Intel on a fresh boot drive, bring your config backup in, and you’ll be up and running.

If ZFS is encrypted keep in mind you’ve got to back up the secret key as well.

lleb

Dabbler
Agree Yorick, Ill cross my fingers when the time comes to make the hardware switch that can be avoided.

drinking12many

Contributor
Something I had to remember when moving over is that many of AMDs power features have to be turned off in the bios for freenas to run right at least that's been my experience if going from Intel to AMD more for anyone else that may be going that way ...at least on AM3 sockets.

lleb

Dabbler
Interesting drinking12many, I am running an AM3 socket now and didn't have to much with the power settings to get it to run. I built the rig a while back and goofed as the board I chose maxes at at 16G ram. If running sickrage to gather subtitles for TV/Movies on my Plex server the RAM will max out and then everything else runs horrid. Disable sickrage sub gathering and everything returns to normal.

Yorick

Wizard
What does htop show you during that time? Have you tried setting a loader tunable vfs.zfs.arc_max to maybe 1GiB below what htop shows as free?

With plex alone, I'm using just under 3 GiB of RAM, so 4 GiB below max is a good arc_max for me.

Restricting ARC could just be your ticket here.

lleb

Dabbler
htop with just plex running is less than 3G, but if I enable sickrage to grab subs, it will max out all 16G ram