changing Dashboard

Silvan Burch

Explorer
hello everyone

I have hopefully an easy question but I wasn't able to find a solution to it so far: how do I change the dashboard on the TrueNAS 12 UI?

e.g.
* i wanna remove some of the "widgets" like an interface that I do not use
* i'd like to be able to change the "used space" indicator on the "pool widget" so it doesn't show a critical flag when the usage of pool space is above 80% (i set it to 85% as I mainly have big data)

I know it is nothing crucial but it's just some final details ...

Thanks for your help and best regards

LarsR

Guru
Simple answer: you can't.
If you want to customize your dashboard i'd suggest you build your own with grafana.

Gushy

Cadet
Silvan, actually you can. Everybody said it can't be done, but yet it is done.
I use CORE 13-version beta. And my dashboard is completely changed. Took me 4 days of course, but as i said. it can be done.
They simply protect the platform from cloning. Which I would do too if platform was mine.
Everything can be changed. But note that if you do it, you can't distribute it. Not only it's illegal and you can face tons of law problems but its also non ethical.
Those guys put tons of money in it and they did great job.

In the end of the day my motto is this.
Nothing is impossible!!

[mod note: edited for spelling correction -JG]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gushy

Cadet
Ops, some spelling mistakes "dashbopoard" Sorry about that.
I hope i will not get in trouble for this post. I actually i did this just for testing.
Just i dont like when someone say "you can't"

The system is perfect, it just had one flaw, the dashboard. For me 90% of what original is are useless for me.
They could make it editable and users import graphs and options in the page.
even simple option like on SCALE to disable what you don't need to see is a good start.
That of course is only my opinion.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
But note that if you do it, you can't distribute it. Not only it's illigal and you can face tons of law problems but its also non etical.

You must be used to the Linux GNU's-not-free-for-you B/S.

In the FreeBSD world, we have real software freedom. Per the documentation,

https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.3-U3.2/intro.html

FreeNAS® is an embedded open source network-attached storage (NAS) operating system based on FreeBSD and released under a 2-clause BSD license. A NAS has an operating system optimized for file storage and sharing.

Microsoft is historically "Copyright". GNU is "Copyleft". BSD is "Copy center", which is, you can take it down to the copy center and make as many xeroxes as you please. You can even draw little evil villain moustaches on all your copies. No one cares, for the most part.

You are certainly able to modify it and distribute modifications. If you release the entire package and call it your own, there could be problems over trademark. If you delete attributions, that's a problem. But improving it? Changes welcome.

Please note I don't speak for iXsystems. Just a longtime BSD community member.

Gushy

Cadet
Thank you, jgreco,
my work is only on the dashboard. As you said changes are good. I will submit my work once i finish it to the company team. Let them deside what to do. In the end of the day the product is not mine. Also the project is still in beta version, tons of way to improve.
But if the company team read this forum i have a suggestion for them.
Which is this:
Make the dashboard editable. The reason is simple. Users like to setup dasboards how they see fit. That would bring more costumers i believe and more people will use it. Even simple option "hide/show" will do better than now.