Change network Interface order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedix

Dabbler
My network setup consists of a primary ethernet connection (on VLAN 2) and I like to have a second ethernet connection (no VLAN) as a backup interface should I ever need it. I also have a IPMI connection. I tried to use the GUI to setup the VLAN connection first and then the other network interface but it seems my secondary interface is always ordered first and brought up first. For some reason, I've had services bind to the secondary interface but not the primary interface. I'm thinking reordering would be the easy way to get what I want.

Is there a way I can control the order in which interfaces are brought up?
Is there a way to edit the configuration by file? I've been using the GUI and the CLI, but it would be nice to edit a config file. I'm really not worried about breaking anything given I've got lots of connection redundancy.

danb35

Hall of Famer

beedix

Dabbler
Appreciate the links! I don't think either of those links apply, but I could have missed the intent and I apologize if so.

FYI, I don't have multiple interfaces on a single subnet. I have multiple interfaces (2) on different subnets. I'm not interested in failover or LACP and I agree with the second posters thoughts on this. The chances of needing a failover are about nil and LACP is not worth the time in my case. The reason I have a backup interface is the secondary connection is necessary so I can reach the FreeNAS GUI and SSH when my vlan subnet is down. My vlan (on a different subnet) I schedule to be down on purpose for about 16 hours out of the day as part of my home power management scheme.

I *think* my problem would be solved if I could re-order which interface FreeNAS brings up first.

Status
Not open for further replies.