Case Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmsmith

Dabbler
Building my first FreeNAS box and need some assistance in picking out a case. I am certainly open to suggestions on other parts as well. My current cart looks like the following:

Motherboard - Supermicro MBDX10SLL-F-O
CPU - Xeon E3-1270V3 or Xeon E3-1271V3 or cheaper CPU option - i3-4150
Memory - 2x Kingston KVR16E11/8
PSU - SeaSonic SSR-450w
Case - ???

I am currently running a LSI 9240-8i in IT mode to a SAS expander for roughly 16 mismatched drives (4TB, 3TB, 2TB, 1.5TB). As you can see, having hard drive space in the case isn't a major concern, only for expansion later if needed. Depending on price, I wouldn't mind having a 1U or 2U but I'm not sure if they would fit the 9240-8i. Any suggestions?

tmsmith

Dabbler
Sorry, I didn't make that very clear in the post. I currently have all 16 drives in a SAS expander (SE3016), so I'm not too concerned with hard drive space in the FreeNAS case. If it has any hard drive bays, they would likely be used for expansion if ever needed.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you want 1U, and would like a few drive bays, you could look at the SuperMicro CSE-813MTQ-350CB (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811152137). I'm using one for a non-FreeNAS server, and it works well for that application. It has four hot-swap bays, a 350-watt power supply, and room for a single full-size card with the use of a riser card. I'd expect that your motherboard would support the riser card; my X9SCL does, but you'd obviously want to check on that first.

It's about $230. If you can live without the hot-swap bays, you can save a fair bit.

tmsmith

Dabbler
It looks like a 1U maybe out of budget, do to me having to get the riser card as well. What kind of case would others recommend if you wanted a small footprint?

Maturola

Explorer
You can also pick any 1U case in your budget and get a rack like this one.

Tripp Lite SRW6U - This one should fix your 1U (or 2U) server + Your SAS expander (3U).

If you want to go the Case route, These are the one i was looking at if I went for a uATX Mobo.

In a budget with nothing fancy is the

Thermaltake Urban S1 -

The one I really like how it look in case the server would be display somewhere

BitFenix Phenom M -

Finally, the one I like the most, since it is small and it looks pretty cool (IMO).

Thermaltake Urban SD1 -

Status
Not open for further replies.