BUILD Case options non-rackmountable for minimum 12 disk and 4 SSD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klontje

Dabbler
I'm thinking about building a FreeNAS setup based on a Xeon D 1520/1540 once availability increases. In my planning phase I at first wanted to start with 4 x 4TB disks (2 mirror's) and expend from there. There are multiple articles on the internet telling you should go with mirroring instead of RAIDZ2 because of the resilvering. Now I want to start with one RAIDz2 vdev with 6 x 4TB and want the possibility to expand with another 6 disk RAIDZ2 for future use. But; I also want to use the machine for hosting an ESXi store and want to do this on mirrored SSD's starting with one mirrorset and be able to expand to a second mirror set.

This brings me to my case options; I haven't been able to find a case which will support the 12 disks and 4 SSD's and is not rack mountable. What are others using?

ChriZ

Patron
I've read that some are using a fractal design R5 with an additional cage mounted at the bottom.
The 2 5.25" bays can also fit an hdd case for 3 more disks and there is also room for 2 sdds in the back.
There are also hdd trays which can accommodate 4 x 2.5" in one 5.25" bay
Long story short you can fit 12x3.5" + 14x2.5" in that thing.....
Now that would be something...

Edit: Added links. I see you are in NL but they must be easy to find.

Last edited:

Klontje

Dabbler
Thanks for the tips, I'll look into that one. Also very interested in the iStarUSA S-919 which has the possibility for placing multiple 5 in 3's, in this scenario I can house 15 3,5" disks hot swappable and one (or with slight modification more) SSD's. But availability of this case, even in the USA, seems pretty bad.

ChriZ

Patron
Another option for multiple 5 in 3s was the sharkoon rebel 9, but don't know if it is available anymore.
It was rather cheap and the price was reasonable for the whole build, since 5 in 3s are not cheap at all.

Mr_N

Patron
If you don't care about size the Lian-Li PC-D8000 has 20 bays and plenty of room for more drive cages also.

AgileLogic

Dabbler
Caselabs ( http://www.caselabs-store.com/ ) cases are real nice. I have a Magnum STH10 currently with 10 drives + 2 SSD, and it can go up to 20 drives and 4 SSD. It's not compact (but still not huge at single-wide), although to me that means lots of room for good airflow and cooling. And they are not cheap, but very high quality. It also looks nice enough to sit in my home office.

Klontje

Dabbler
Nice cases indeed, but the price (and the importduties)... And I thought Lian Li cases were steep! Think I'll be going with the R5 for now. I like the sound absorption material and the price ;-) Thanks all for your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.