can't write to main directory in my SMB share...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosUK

Dabbler
as tittle says ... i can't write just to main folder... i can write to subfolders without a problem....
I had that problem before after updating from freenas 9 to 11... someone gave my some commands to run in the shell it helped...

edit:
i was playing with some settings and it seems i can just read now .. i cant create or delete anything ...
so is transmission plugin :/ it stopped downloading :/

help

edit2:
i removed credentials in win10 and logged in again as root and i can write and delete files succesfully..
transmission still cant write new files :/

owncloud works fine
plex server works fine

transmission is broken .. i tried removing the plugin and adding it but it didn't help..

before seeing my smb share didn't require me to log in... what happend?

Last edited:

Bibi40k

Contributor
Hi,
insufficient data for debugging. It's a permission thing i guess.

Nick2253

Wizard
so please tell me what information i should provide
Reading the forum rules will help you get started. It has some very important suggestions for general posts: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/updated-forum-rules-4-11-17.45124/

In this case, since we're also debugging file shares, you probably want to give us information like: what do your pool/datasets look like? What are you sharing? Screenshots of your SMB settings would be great. You mention that you "can't write just to the main folder": what is the actual error message you are getting? You also mention that Transmission is broken. How have you come to this conclusion? What error messages are you getting?

Most likely, problems like this are permissions problems. It's helpful if you provide information about your accounts and how the shares/datasets are set up (ownership/permissions). Do you have a domain or central authentication controller? How are you managing your user authentication? Creating local accounts on your FreeNAS? What are the permissions on the share? What dataset/directory are you sharing the the transmission plugin? Do you have the same user accounts created on the main FreeNAS and the transmission jail? Does that account have the correct permissions to write data to the directory?

You mentioned "some shell commands that helped": what were they? Was the problem identical? Have you tried running those commands again? Did they do anything?

ChaosUK

Dabbler
so this is why i say transmission is broken
FLIMAHt.jpg

i have a share called media .. and transmission is set to write to one of the folders in that share..
UlFeVKk.jpg

YDUbcf4.jpg

It all happened after I reinstalled windows on my machine .... when i tried to access my share it prompted me for a password (never did that before) so i put FREENAS/my_password ...

i was able to see my folders but couldn't write to root folder of the share.. i could write just to subfolders
i tried to change permissions in my share and I ticked APPLY DEFAULT PERMISSIONS that didn't fix it
i don't know why i clicked USE AS HOME SHARE .... my share name changed to HOMES ... i panicked and unticked both of them .... after that I could delete or change anything ...

Later i found a post in this forum ... someone advised to remove windows credentials and try login again...
this time I used root/my_password ... and magically i can delete everything and write to root folder of the share
but in the process transmission got broken

when I log in as guest (just user guest and no password) i can see my folders in the share but i can't delete anything or modify
4ZC7BcS.jpg

about those commands i mentioned i don't remember what it was .... but after update from freenas 9 to 11 i had similar problem but i just couldn't write to root folder of my share and running some commands in shell helped me ..

I appreciate all the efforts to help me... I want to avoid setting up my freenas again but if that is going to be easier than solving this problem I guess I'm gonna have to do it...
sorry if something is not spelled correctly English is not my first language

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
What you've provided is in the right direction, but does not provide enough information to start troubleshooting. Many of the questions asked were not answered. Can you please review my post and post back?

In particular, we have no information about your accounts or the permissions that you've set up on the Media dataset or the folders inside it. Given the permission denied error, I strongly suspect that the problem is permissions, so that information in critical to solving your problem.

ChaosUK

Dabbler
i never had any user accounts created ...
where do I check permissions for the Media dataset?
Is that what you mean? i never changed those settings
jGoZztH.jpg

Nick2253

Wizard
Yes, that is the permissions on the media dataset.

Typically, the use case is that you create a user on your FreeNAS box that has the same username and password as your Windows account. Then, you can give this user account permissions on your NAS so you can limit access to certain things. However, if your goal is to have a wide-open NAS, that can also be done.

We're still looking for answers to:
  • Screenshots of your SMB settings would be great.
  • You mention that you "can't write just to the main folder": what is the actual error message you are getting?
  • What dataset/directory are you sharing the the transmission plugin? Do you have the same user accounts created on the main FreeNAS and the transmission jail? Does that account have the correct permissions to write data to the directory?
Based on your above post, I've got some more questions:
  • Since you didn't create a user account, what username/password were you using before?
  • "Later i found a post in this forum" - What post?

Bibi40k

Contributor
did you linked transmission download folder with the Dataset download folder ?
And you set transmission to download to "destination" folder, like in the image.
Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 20.44.08.png

ChaosUK

Dabbler
yes that is configured .. i even tried to add a different folder it didn't work
i think its because transmission cant write to smb share :/

@Nick2253 i posted a picture of my smb settings already..

Bibi40k

Contributor
transmission writes to a local folder, not a share, you only need to set write permissions for "other" ... in your picture is disabled.

Nick2253

Wizard
Transmission isn't connecting to the share via SMB. It is connecting directly to it through a mountpoint. Your problem is likely that the transmission user does not have permissions to edit the files on that dataset.

ChaosUK

Dabbler
can i debug my problem somehow?
idk? like fire up shell and be able to see whats causing the problem when transmission gives me error?

Nick2253

Wizard
can i debug my problem somehow?
Are we doing something different? You still haven't provided the exact error message you are getting from transmission, so I would start with that.

fire up shell and be able to see whats causing the problem when transmission gives me error?
We will probably have to get to this point. You can use your SSH client to get access to FreeNAS, and then use the jexec command to launch a shell in one of the jails.

ChaosUK

Dabbler
@Nick2253 what do you mean? what about the first picture in post #5?
there is a screenshot from transmission with an error

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
Sorry, I missed that. Pictures take a while in Taptalk, and they don't come up very large when they do. In the future, when you provide error messages, it helps to include the text in the body, not only for Taptalk users, but to help with future searches for other people who have similar problems.

ChaosUK

Dabbler
so i think its something with the permission of the smb share ...
it used to didn't require any password ... i could just access it from network and everything would work....

right now its still visible but as i said .. read only... i cant edit anything ..

for some reason only on my main pc it asks me for a password
ZiKBFMt.jpg

when i enter the same login and password that lets me log in to Freenas web GUI everything works fine... i can delete and create ....

so what happend with my share?
and how come transmission can't write to disk...
how we debug it?

Nick2253

Wizard
Again, Transmission does not write through an SMB share. Transmission writes to a local directory. Underneath, what is happening is that a dataset is being shared directly through to the jail. We need to know how you've mounted storage to the Transmission jail. Can you please provide a screenshot of the jail storage?

ChaosUK

Dabbler
you've lost me there .... to much technical :> tell please in a simple words what screenshot do you need and i will provide it

what I've done yesterday is I created another dataset called "shared" and another windows share ... when i told transmission to write to that disk it didn't work as well... someone suggested to see what ID transmision has (921) and create a user with this ID nr and give that user ownership to that share... that work...

but i would like to have just one share and one dataset :>

you are keep saying it doesn't write to the share and I get that... but why transmission broke together with the share? the moment my share became "read only"

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
tell please in a simple words what screenshot do you need and i will provide it
I'm not sure how much simpler I can ask for a screenshot of the jail storage. Go to the jail settings, and click on storage, and take a screenshot of that.

when i told transmission to write to that disk it didn't work as well...
How are you telling Transmission to write to that "disk"?

someone suggested to see what ID transmision has (921) and create a user with this ID nr and give that user ownership to that share... that work...
How did you determine what UID the transmission user has?

Honestly, you seem to be doing pretty advanced things here. Figuring out UIDs, reconfiguring Transmission. But then you talk about things being much too technical. I would strongly recommend that you stop trying to fix this problem on your own, because it's likely a very simple fix, but it is extremely easy to make it much more complicated. Tweak the wrong thing, and it's almost impossible to figure it out (unless you are aware of what setting you tweaked). I've helped a lot of people who have tweaked to no end trying to fix a problem in FreeNAS, ended up completely hosing their system, and their real problem was a simple missed step during setup. By the point I get involved, the only solution is to start over from scratch.

In your case, I'm 99% sure this is a simple permission issue, but we first need to figure out what permissions we need to change so we can correct the issue. The fact that your experiment came to the same conclusion makes me pretty confident here. So you know what our steps are: 1. figure out what dataset you are connecting to Transmission and what the mountpoint within the Transmission jail are, 2. determine the transmission user UID, 3. make sure the transmission user (with the same UID) is created in FreeNAS, 4. make the dataset used within Transmission owned by that UID. It's also probably a good idea to create a temporary folder for in-progress downloads, and have Transmission move the downloaded files only when completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.