Cant use internal harddisk!

Status
Not open for further replies.

banmenau

Cadet
Hi!

I cant use internal Disk to create a volume. not appear the disk to select the volume. Its only possible to have a volume in USB stick?

I install the freenas 8.3 on disk and i need to use it to share.

any help?

gpsguy

Where did you install FreeNAS? On the disk you're trying to share out?

If so, that's the problem. You can't use the OS disk for storage. Most people boot FN from a USB stick and have their hard drives available for storage.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
From the documentation....
1.4.3 Compact or USB Flash
The FreeNAS® operating system is a running image. This means that it should not be installed onto a hard drive, but rather to a USB or compact flash device that is at least 2 GB in size. If you don't have compact flash, you can instead use a USB thumb drive that is dedicated to the running image and which stays inserted in the USB slot. While technically you can install FreeNAS® onto a hard drive, this is discouraged as you will lose the storage capacity of the drive. In other words, the operating system will take over the drive and will not allow you to store data on it, regardless of the size of the drive.
The FreeNAS® installation will partition the operating system drive into two ~1 GB partitions. One partition holds the current operating system and the other partition is used when you upgrade. This allows you to safely upgrade to a new image or to revert to an older image should you encounter problems.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh, pesky manual. How you make people look sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.