Can't upgrade to 9.10 from 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTREEMMAK

Dabbler
Hi all,

I tried upgrading from 9.3 STABLE to 9.10 STABLE today and I keep getting a Fatal Trap 9 error over at cpuid = 0. Says it stopped at xpt_action_default..etc. I'll screenshot the error if I have to. Investigated data/crash and didn't see anything in there when I rolled back to 9.3.

Here are my hardware specs at the moment:
Build: FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201605170422
CPU: Intel Xeon CPU E3-1276 v3 @ 3.60GHz
Memory: Crucial 32GB DDR3/DDR3L-1600MT/s (PC3-12800) ECC Unbuffered UDIMM Server Memory CT2KIT102472BD160B/CT2CP102472BD160B
Boot: Dual 16GB SATA SSD on Module DOM 511-140902177
Motherboard: ASRock H87WS-DL ATX Motherboard (updated to latest firmware)
NIC: Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I340-T4 PCI 2.0 Compatible Version, 4 Port NIC (in LACP)

Atm, no boot errors detected and all is running smoothly so far on 9.3. Just can't get 9.10 to boot :(

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Try installing 9.10 on a new usb and so if it boots. If it does maybe just do that and upload your configuration file.

XTREEMMAK

Dabbler
Getting the same result when booting from a fresh USB with 9.10 on it. Here's the screenshot below:
20160625_143727.jpg

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Eventually I am guess that the suggestion to use USB Sticks is going to be rescinded or set to a specific Makes/Models. There seems to be a lot of issues with USB Sticks in general from them just going "belly up" to not working "out of the box".

If possible, try on a HD or older SSD and see what happens...

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
A Complete Guide to FreeNAS Hardware Design, Part IV: Network Notes & Conclusion

Written by Joshua Paetzel on February 12, 2015.

Boot Devices

FreeNAS was originally designed to run as a read-only image on a small boot device. The latest versions now run read/write using ZFS. A SATA DOM or small SSD is a great boot device for the latest versions. Since ZFS is used, the boot device itself can be mirrored. As an alternative to a SATA DOM or SSD, one or more high quality USB sticks can be used.

XTREEMMAK

Dabbler
Thing is,
I'm already using an SSD DOM as my main boot device. The USB stick listed here was a suggestion to see if the error persists on a non native hardware device. Turns out the problem does so now I'm not sure what the problem is.

ATM, I'm still running fine on 9.3 but would eventually like to find a solution to this problem so I can migrate to 9.10

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Your motherboard only supports 8 drives so how are the other 6 connected?

XTREEMMAK

Dabbler

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Ok everything I can find points to a hardware problem. I'd start with memtest and go from there.

XTREEMMAK

Dabbler
Well,

After 4 straight passes using Memtest86, I can probably confirm that there is nothing wrong with the RAM as it has returned no errors:
20160626_183016.jpg

joeschmuck

Old Man
Here is a thing you can try...

You can use either a USB Flash or whatever but first remove all your add-on cards form your system and disconnect your hard drives. Try to boot FreeNAS 9.10. If it works, add one card and try again. If it fails to work then your motherboard and FreeNAs 9.10 are not compatible and I'd then try to boot FreeBSD 10 and if it works, file a FreeNAS bug report. Hopefully you see where I'm going here. There isn't much more you can do until you isolate the hardware a bit more.

XTREEMMAK

Dabbler
I hear ya.

Is there anything I need to be careful of in regards to the harddrives while booting into the separate FreeNAS install; like if I boot into the version that works without my drives connected, will my pool be in danger since one ore more may be disconnected? Of course I don't think there will be a problem of me mistakenly booting into the FreeNAS install with my working install and pool config/data without my drives and hardware connected, but just to be sure I don't do anything stupid while testing.

joeschmuck

Old Man
First of all, NEVER upgrade your pools when you upgrade FreeNAS until you have tested the new version for at least a month (I pull that out my rear). I personally have not upgraded my pool in years. There are no more new features I desire and I can roll back to any previous versions of FreeNAS and access my data. So, once you can get 9.10 running, just disable the flashing alert for upgrading your pool, you don't need to do it.

As for your concerns, if you are booting up an un-configured FreeNAS image then it will not automatically import your pool even if you have all your drives present. However if you have only a few drives present and try to auto-import your pool, well I haven't done that and it's stupid to try it so don't do it. And I'm not saying you would do it but I've seen people do stupid things before so it's just being smart. Leave all the drives disconnected until you can boot up FreeNAS reliably. You can setup the network settings and do basic setup without a pool.

Once you feel FreeNAS is booting okay, shut it down and attach your hard drives and boot FreeNAS. When you boot FreeNAS you can then restore your old configuration file and reboot, then things should be all correct for you.

I hope that gets you to testing the hardware out. Just leave your hard drives disconnected for now or you can just keep running FreeNAS 9.3 and not upgrade. If you are using your system as a basic NAS then that would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.