Can't start ftp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

danzg

Contributor
I am trying to activate the ftp service on our FreeNAS, but I keep getting

Dec 5 15:44:20 Wheelhouse NAS notifier: - Fatal: error processing configuration file '/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf'
Dec 5 15:44:20 Wheelhouse NAS root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd
Dec 5 15:44:20 Wheelhouse NAS notifier: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd

I haven't touched `proftpd.conf` -- can I delete it? Or is there a default version I can replace it with?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Please state what version of FreeNAS you are running and how far into the installation you have made it? Have you ready the users manual at all? I recommend you follow it if this is the first time you have installed FreeNAS.

danzg

Contributor
Please state what version of FreeNAS you are running and how far into the installation you have made it? Have you ready the users manual at all? I recommend you follow it if this is the first time you have installed FreeNAS.

I'm using FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950).

We've been running it fine for 6 months or so, over LAN.

Now we want to access it via ftp over WAN.

Yes, I read the manual. I followed the instructions about ftp.

But when I try to turn the ftp service ON, I always get

Code:
Dec  8 13:13:16 Wheelhouse NAS notifier: Will not 'restart' proftpd because proftpd_enable is NO.
Dec  8 13:13:20 Wheelhouse NAS notifier: proftpd not running?
Dec  8 13:13:20 Wheelhouse NAS notifier: proftpd not running?
Dec  8 13:13:20 Wheelhouse NAS notifier: Starting proftpd.
Dec  8 13:13:20 Wheelhouse NAS notifier:  - warning: unable to determine IP address of 'Wheelhouse_NAS.local'
Dec  8 13:13:20 Wheelhouse NAS notifier:  - error: no valid servers configured
Dec  8 13:13:20 Wheelhouse NAS notifier:  - Fatal: error processing configuration file '/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf'
Dec  8 13:13:20 Wheelhouse NAS root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd
Dec  8 13:13:20 Wheelhouse NAS notifier: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd
Dec  8 13:13:30 Wheelhouse NAS notifier: proftpd not running?
Dec  8 13:13:30 Wheelhouse NAS notifier: proftpd not running?
Dec  8 13:13:30 Wheelhouse NAS notifier: Starting proftpd.
Dec  8 13:13:30 Wheelhouse NAS notifier:  - warning: unable to determine IP address of 'Wheelhouse_NAS.local'
Dec  8 13:13:30 Wheelhouse NAS notifier:  - error: no valid servers configured
Dec  8 13:13:30 Wheelhouse NAS notifier:  - Fatal: error processing configuration file '/usr/local/etc/proftpd.conf'
Dec  8 13:13:30 Wheelhouse NAS root: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd
Dec  8 13:13:30 Wheelhouse NAS notifier: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/proftpd: WARNING: failed to start proftpd

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are you sure the network settings are set up correctly, do you have a DNS setup?

EDIT: If this problem is not due to a configuration error then I would expect it to be a hot ticket item to fix if it were a software issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.