Can't run smart tests through supermicro backplane

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcmofo

Explorer
I have a Supermicro Backplane: BPN-SAS2-846EL1 connected to a RAID Card: IBM M1015 that has been flashed in IT mode so it should pass through JOBD mode and allow me to run smartctl commands on the drives.

I installed 6x 4tb Red Pro drives and tried to run smartctl on the drives and I can't on any of them.

When I do I get the following response....

smartctl 6.3 2014-07-26 r3976 [FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p28 amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
/dev/xpt0 control device couldn't opened: Permission denied
Unable to get CAM device list
/dev/da2: Unable to detect device type
Please specify device type with the -d option.
Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

Does anyone have an idea of what might be happening here or what else I can try?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The telltale there was "permission denied.". Permissions are strictly a software daydream.

pcmofo

Explorer
The telltale there was "permission denied.". Permissions are strictly a software daydream.
On a somewhat related note... I ran your read/write burn in testing script found here. https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/building-burn-in-and-testing-your-freenas-system.17750/
Basically I dropped it onto a share, navigated to the /mnt/share, ./script.sh to run it, and proceeded to select my drives and start the tests. It ran the serial test without an issue (170MB/s!) but it never finished the parallel test, which I quit after a few hours of running. All the HDD activity lights were on. How long does the parallel test take? The serial one only took maybe 15-30 minutes.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It didn't give a rough estimate of how long it'd take?

pcmofo

Explorer
Negative. But I wasn't running it as root either if that makes a difference.

Fuganater

Patron
I need to find time reread that thread where you taught BigDave how to use scripts. They seem like they could be very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.