Can't install FreeNAS on a SSD but HDD work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I try to install FreeNAS into a 32 Gb Sandisk SSD but I get the error of can't or cannot mount root or something like that. But I can successfully install FreeNAS on a 320 Gb HDD. Why?

Guillaume

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Any reason you aren't doing a USB stick as the manual, my guide, the forum and IRC recommend? You can't use the extra space for anything so it seems to be a waste of an SSD.

To answer your question, it should work the same. Maybe your SSD is on a different controller than the HDD?

Hi,

The reason is because I have a limited amount of USB ports and I will use my USB ports for external drives.

Did you know why that don't work? Please note I plug the SSD in the same SATA port as the HDD so its the same controller.

Guillaume

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Using USB ports for data drives for FreeNAS is a major no-no. You are setting yourself up for failure as USB is not a reliable method for data transfer. I will warn you that when (not if) you have problems with your pool and you mention that you are using USB you are going to get laughed at and promptly told that your problems are self inflicted.

USB works acceptably for a backup drive and for moving data to a FreeNAS box, but that's about it.

Hi,

Thanks for the info, but I need to use a internal SSD for contain FreeNAS, I have one 2.5in bay for that. Did you know why it work on a HDD but not on a SSD?

Guillaume

Yatti420

Wizard
As CJ mentioned maybe on a different controller that FreeNAS has problem with? We don't really no your hardware so kind of hard to guess.. If you can see the SSD you should be able to install to it.. Using USB drive enclosures for data/pool is just asking for trouble so don't do that..

Knowltey

Patron
I can second what cyberguarddog says about USB ports for drives. I was using one a bit just for testing some temp files on. After a reboot it became I mountable even with the veil key and all that, it simply would not I encrypt despite having all of the correct information.

Not a big deal since it was just some temp sandbox data, but if it's any data that you care for, definitely stay away from using USB as data drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

Perfect, no USB for data drive. :)

Also, I still want to use an internal SSD for contain FreeNAS. I don't want to accidenlty unplug the USB stick.

Knowltey

Patron
Unless there is either a hardware in I layabouts issue with your motherboard and SSD or if the OS doesn't have the drivers for it for whatever reason it should show up in the installation options when installing the OS just like a regular hard drive does.

Its maybe a driver issue. So you saids even if FreeNAS don't have the drivers, the SSD will show up in the avalible drives when I do the installation but it can have difficulty to boot once the installation done? Correct?

Knowltey

Patron
No, if it shows up as an option it should work, if not then not much you can do.

Interesting... In addition of that I get ''error 19'' when the system try to mount the volume during the boot. Any idea?

gpsguy

Here's a post from last Thursday, perhaps it's a solution for your problem.

SOLUTION

Only run FreeNAS from a disk with MBR (master boot record) partition map scheme.

It goes wrong it you use a GPT (GUID partition table) scheme. It will boot, but then fail later with the "error 19".

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, except the act of installing FreeNAS would mean you'd be doing MBR. ;)

I plug the SSD to a Windows machine and its show the SSD is already MBR. Another idea please?

Thanks for your help!

Knowltey

Patron
Full wipe the SSD and try fresh.

So I wipe it just by deleting the partitions on it with Windows Disk Management or using a software like Partition Wizard and select wipe the disk completly?

Thanks for your help :)

Knowltey

Patron
I use Activ@ KillDisk. WDM sometimes won't see the whole space of stuff that FreeNAS has touched.

Status
Not open for further replies.