Cant import volume after rearranging disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand

Guru
Hey guys,

a probabl simple q but i couldnt find a suitable answer.

So i've been rearranging disks for better airflow and while i thought i correctly had switched cables as well it looks like i didnt or FreeNas picks up some location (enclosure) info as well and didnt like change;)

I probably can reverse any changes or just recreate the pool, i am still testing , so no rel worrie. Just want to understand things.

So the pool coud not be imported, status UNKNOWN/UNAVAIL
Code:
[root@nas2] ~# zpool import
  pool: test3
    id: 11279767852921069006
  state: UNAVAIL
action: The pool cannot be imported. Attach the missing
        devices and try again.
  see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-6X
config:

test3                                          UNAVAIL  missing device
          mirror-0                                      ONLINE
            gptid/08b4e212-a31a-11e3-a812-001b212797af  ONLINE
            gptid/0ad0e287-a31a-11e3-a812-001b212797af  ONLINE
          mirror-1                                      ONLINE
            gptid/0ce7d8c4-a31a-11e3-a812-001b212797af  ONLINE
            gptid/0f070c5c-a31a-11e3-a812-001b212797af  ONLINE
          mirror-2                                      ONLINE
            gptid/11349317-a31a-11e3-a812-001b212797af  ONLINE
            gptid/1354092b-a31a-11e3-a812-001b212797af  ONLINE
          mirror-3                                      ONLINE
            gptid/15781459-a31a-11e3-a812-001b212797af  ONLINE
            gptid/178a3816-a31a-11e3-a812-001b212797af  ONLINE

Additional devices are known to be part of this pool, though their
        exact configuration cannot be determined.

All the disks are present but just not in their original order or position...
I suppose i could run a forced import but i thought i'd ask what the proper process is here:)

Thanks,

joeschmuck

Old Man
It shouldn't make a difference where the drives are plugged into. What hardware do you have for the SATA interface?

Do Not run a Forced import! If someone like Cyberjock says it's okay, fine but more people get into trouble that way. I would put my disks back where they were originally first to see if you can get your pool to Auto-Import first.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Did you only have 8 disks in your pool? It's saying it thinks there's more....

And yeah, don't force an import. Of course, it might not let you do it even if you try.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And post your hardware and FreeNAS version!

Rand

Guru
Hm now you say it i am not sure whether i had a zil attached atm... too much testing...
Hmm that might be it, it not present in the drives list.
I will check the cableing.

But i thought that >v28 that shouldnt matter? If zil is present i mean

Currently running on 9.2.1.3
i3, 16gb ecc, 2xLSi HBA for the drives

Rand

Guru
yep that was it, the 8087 connector of the zil cage was not seated properly, now it works. Thanks:)
nevertheless i wonder what would have been if the drive was gone for good?
Why was it not listed as being offline?

warri

Guru
I've never used a ZIL, but you are right that the pool should be importable even in the case of a missing ZIL when using a ZFS version > 19.

Maybe you would have needed to use zpool import -m. From the zpool man page:
-m Enables import with missing log devices.
But usually ZFS is quite verbose about the possibilities and as you stated it wasn't even able to determine that the ZIL device was the one missing.

I don't have the time to test this in a VM right now, but feel free to do. Also maybe somebody of the more experienced ZFS users has already tried this and can give more information.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It wasn't listed directly. But, it did tell you that there were disks missing.

As for the ZIL, the bug that was fixed in v15 only fixed one thing. It "allows" you to mount a pool with a missing ZIL. What it doesn't do is save the data that was on your ZIL. There is a significant distinction between the two, and ZFS will actively prevent you from mounting a pool with a missing ZIL. But, you *can* still mount it and discard the lost data that is in the missing ZIL if you know some CLI-foo. It's not recommended at all, which is why a mirrored ZIL is the only truly safe way to have a ZIL.

Now you still haven't told me what your hardware was, so I'm curious to know how many disks you *should* have had. My guess is you have more than 8 disks for the pool itself.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Bah, warri started covering it while I was writing my other post.. the -m is the flag for mounting without a ZIL. It works, but you *will* lose data as it will have to rollback transactions and other stuff. For someone that is using ZFS for data-integrity reason's it's a conflict of interest to demand ZFS, then go with single disk ZIL. Either you care about integrity and have a mirrored ZIL, or you don't care about integrity, in which case I can ask the question "why are you using ZFS then?"

Rand

Guru
Ah i see, well that explains things, thanks.

The pool actually only contains those 8 drives - and a single ZIL atm since i am still testing. The other ssds are in a separate pool, this was just for some zil performance tests i ran a couple of weeks ago and havent finalized the pool yet (thats why i wouldnt have minded loosing it - its test3 after all;)).
(eg still need to run perf tests between z3 (4+3) and mirror altough i suppose it will end up with mirror and coldstandby disk)

Status
Not open for further replies.