Can't get why scrub is so slow / replication failing during slow scrub

Ulysse_31

Dabbler
Hi all,

*UPDATE/READ_ME_FIRST*: This server hardware profile & pool setup is a "droppin replacement" of an existing "zfs replication server" we already had in the past that we used during 6 years, its sizing & pool setup feats our needs, on its previous version, and within our specific usage, we never had scrubbing speeds nor replication issues like above, we always oscillated between 250 Mbytes per sec and 489MBytes per sec in scrubs.

We have setup a server as follow :
- A poweredge R630
- 2x Intel Xeon E5-2695 v4
- 256G RAM

We use an internal card for system (on ssd), and a LSI SAS3008 card to access drives on a Dell Powervault MD1400 drive bay.
We use 12x TOSHIBA MG07SCA12TEY (12Tb SAS drives) in a raidz2 pool.
We use this host to sync distant datasets of other hosts, sync are made daily, we have a lot of different datasets (roughtly around 40 datasets) and we've been using it since around 8 month without issues ...
Currently, the pool is about 44% used, and with 0% fragmentation following zpool list.
But suddenly, it seems that scrubs are getting super slow, and, replications are failing during scrub.
2 weeks ago I received a lot of replication errors status ... when I tried to relaunch the syncs, I had error messages as above :
* Replication "[...]" failed: client_loop:
ssh_packet_write_poll: Connection to [...] port 22: Broken pipe
cannot receive resume stream: checksum mismatch or incomplete stream.
Partially received snapshot is saved. A resuming stream can be generated on
the sending system by running: zfs send -t [...]
I logged into the server via command line, and I spotted that the pool was scrubbing, and a really slow pace (40/50MBytes per sec) I made the assumption that for some reason the pool did not enough IO for both the scrub and the replications ... so I decided to pause the scrub with "zpool scrub -p".
After pausing the scrub, all replication jobs went fine, without any issue, they retrieved all the remaining snapshots and we were good.
I then decided to unpause the scrub, so it continued the scrubbing ... but still ... a really slow pace (40/50MBytes per sec)
A week later, same problem : the same scrub was still ongoing, and the replications ended with errors ... I paused again the scrub, relaunched my replications, and we are again back running as before ... I suspect that it may have something related that local snapshots are made on this host each weekend on those replicated datasets ...
But why is this scrub so slow and taking so much time ?
I looked to the dmesg, no error / warning about anything related to the pool, all drives look OK on the smart status, no error spotted on them ... I'm running out of ideas and don't see from where this could come from ... if someone as some idea ... I would really appreciate ^^'

Cheers all

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Reading all blocks, calculating parity and checking is an IOPS intensive workload and you're asking a pool with limited IOPS to do that for a fair amount of data (~60TB).

It gets more and more problematic the closer your pool gets to full.

Pool geometry better matched to your expected performance is the only way to "fix" that.

Ulysse_31

Dabbler
Well I could understand this argument IF the pool was nearly full ...
We are at 44% ... there is 12 drives to spread the IOPS ... If you have some documentation about that that would explain why scrubbing would be at 40/50Mbytes a sec ...
Writes and replications are done via network arround 100/120Mbytes per sec per replication ... which are totally respectable/normal performances ...
Really sorry @sretalla ... but I really do not see this as a viable and logical explanation ...

That reminds me one other fact that may explain the slow => the pool and datasets are encrypted ...
If encryption brings down so much scrubbing performances ... while keeping writes and read at normal operations ... I really thing that some job/enhancement should be done on scrubbing in a encrypted environment ... OR at least a BIG / HUGE warning should be added at pool creation about performance drop (or even simply dropping encryption support ... because IF encryption is indeed the culprit ... then it seems totally unusable ...)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
here is 12 drives to spread the IOPS
No, there are not.

The IOPS capability of a RAIDZ2 VDEV is the same as the IOPS of one single member disk.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Writes and replications are done via network arround 100/120Mbytes per sec per replication
Throughput and IOPS are completely different things. RAIDZ2 can have fairly high throughput, but can not perform well on tasks that require high IOPS.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
12-wide RAIDZ2 is wide. Not too wide for comfort, but wide enough that you need to pay attention and make sure you're using large blocks (mostly) and that fragmentation is kept in check.
We are at 44% ... there is 12 drives to spread the IOPS
Wrong: A RAIDZp vdev has approximately the IOPS of a single disk, as all (well, all minus p) disks are needed to read each block.
That reminds me one other fact that may explain the slow => the pool and datasets are encrypted ...
Doesn't seem likely, with a pair of Xeon E5s. Slow compression (like gzip or higher levels of zstd) might however cause trouble.

Ulysse_31

Dabbler
... so 2 things ... :
1- if you reply to my post ... the minimum would be to approve it firstly ^^'
2- one SAS drive at 12Gb/s ... giving 40/50Mbytes per sec ? are you sure about that math ? yes, those 12Gb/s are theorical ... but even in "real world usage" ... one SATA 2/3 drive can be accessed at 150/200 MBytes per sec ...

Ulysse_31

Dabbler
12-wide RAIDZ2 is wide. Not too wide for comfort, but wide enough that you need to pay attention and make sure you're using large blocks (mostly) and that fragmentation is kept in check.

Wrong: A RAIDZp vdev has approximately the IOPS of a single disk, as all (well, all minus p) disks are needed to read each block.

Doesn't seem likely, with a pair of Xeon E5s. Slow compression (like gzip or higher levels of zstd) might however cause trouble.
Again ... I was talking about IOPS being spread ... this is not wrong ... I did not said they are "cumulated" or that they get "sum" in any ways ... sorry but when you write into a RAIDZn pool ... the IOPS are spread across all the drives ...

sretalla