Can't get raidz option in virtual box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Holt

Cadet
Hi, new to freenas. I'm trying to evaluate it before I start to invest. I have it running in virtualbox with 4 20GB SATA drives. I have 5GB of ram dedicated to it. I'd like to create a new raidz2 volume, but the only options i'm getting are stripe and mirror (other than log, cache, etc...). I'm assuming its a limitation of running it in virtualbox and/or memory/disk combination. I can adjust it to anything if its possible as i'm just using this as a lab, but I'm not sure what I need to adjust it too. "raidz virtualbox" search didn't return any results.
Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I saw raidz2 required 4 disks so i thought thats all i needed. however i just added a 5th disk, now i have all the raidz options. I'm not entirely sure why i need 5. A clarification on that would be nice. I'll look at the docs in the meantime.

D

dlavigne

Keep in mind that one of the virtual disks holds the OS, so yes, five virtual disks are needed in order to get four storage disks.

Steve Holt

Cadet
yes, i should have specified, i had an OS disk and 4 storage disks, still I had no raidz options until i added the 5th storage disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.