Can't edit a virtual guest's memory settings (or anything)

The James

Cadet
>> you see the updated

Correct, triple checked.

Wonder if there is any low-level service I should send a SIGTERM or something?

Ok, this is kind of awkward … going back and forth, finally managed to identify the culprit.

Changing values by CLI works just fine, unless you’re being fooled by M$ guest refusing to accept any configuration beyond two sockets (a.k.a. VCPUS). And, yes, I know this from working with QEMU on vanilla Debian and it’s even mentioned in the TrueNAS documentation.

Learning is fun. Cheers

rVlad

Cadet
Last edited:

snw35

Cadet
I am also seeing this on TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.1.3. The previous reports of this problem in the IX JIRA were all combined under https://ixsystems.atlassian.net/browse/NAS-125803 (which was slightly different, e.g not being able to edit due to GPU isolation errors) which has been marked as resolved and closed.

I can't get any output from the UI when this doesn't work - it just shows the "VM update successful" banner and the settings stay unchanged. I also can't get anything from journalctl when it happens either, there is just nothing logged. So I'm not sure how to get debug output to put in a new JIRA ticket yet.

brekkjen

Cadet
I'm also experiencing this on SCALE 23.10.1.3.
Any changes to the VM done in the GUI is not applied, changing via CLI works.

Starrbuck

Dabbler
This is fixed in 23.10.2 which is not generally available yet, so I don't think any bugs need to be opened.

snw35

Cadet
Thank you @Starrbuck, that's good to know, is there anywhere I could have looked to find this out?

I doesn't look like my report has been triaged yet, so I can just close it if the fix is coming in 23.10.2.

Starrbuck

Dabbler
Thank you @Starrbuck, that's good to know, is there anywhere I could have looked to find this out?

I doesn't look like my report has been triaged yet, so I can just close it if the fix is coming in 23.10.2.
It can be found in either Jira or Github.
Here is a link to the PR:

sfatula

Guru
Supposedly fixed today, can anyone say they can now edit (after updating to 23.10.2)?

sfatula

Guru