Cant create single drive pool, Data Greyed out

CH4Pz

Explorer
Hi, So i recently upgraded from Truenas core 12.0 (what ever the latest stable was), over to 13, and i previously had a VM set up on an old laptop HDD, which i run my downloads through, and that would sync over to my main Z2 pool, but after the upgrade the VM just bricked, was constantly refused by computer. So i decided to goto an m.2 sata SSD and recreate the VM but when i goto create a pool, under the "add vdev" menu, the Data menu is greyed out, im only able to create cache, log, hotspare etc.

i then booted into parted magic and created a partion table (just left it on ms-dos?) for the new drive, but this made no difference.

am i missing something, as im sure its possible as i had it previously, any idea why a Data pool is greyed out for a single drive? do i need to format the drive in order for truenas to be able to use it?

thanks in Advance :)

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
when i goto create a pool, under the "add vdev" menu
That doesn't sound like the thing you want to be doing...

Adding a VDEV is something you do with an existing pool.

You should be clicking the Add button in the top right on the pools screen and then electing to create a new pool...

i then booted into parted magic and created a partion table (just left it on ms-dos?) for the new drive, but this made no difference.
That would never be any more useful than using the Wipe option on a disk in TrueNAS. A complete waste of your time.

CH4Pz

Explorer
That doesn't sound like the thing you want to be doing...

Adding a VDEV is something you do with an existing pool.

You should be clicking the Add button in the top right on the pools screen and then electing to create a new pool...

That would never be any more useful than using the Wipe option on a disk in TrueNAS. A complete waste of your time.
I did goto pools and click add new, it then takes you to the next page which has a blue button called "add vdev" and thats the menu im talking about, where data is greyed out.

Ive not been able to use new drives till they have a partion table before, or do you mean the msdos part was a waste of time? Should i make it gpt instead?

Any idea why cant make drive data drive?

CH4Pz

Explorer
I will add, if i dont select that add vdev box, and just tick the ssd, the Create button is greyed out. also if i move the drive to the right into the data vdevs column, the only option is stripe, an again, create stays greyed out

sretalla