Can't create Plex media library and write permission issue.

Nabreus

Cadet
As a complete beginner, I wanted to try to create a NAS and a Plex Media server, and thus used chip hardware.

Hardware:
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220T CPU
- Asus P8H61-I LX R2.0
- 8 Gb RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 Mhz
- 3 Seagate IronWolf 4 TB in RaidZ (1 drives for redundancy).
- Chip thumb drive for boot

I installed FreeNAS-11.2-U7. I managed to create the Pool, users, group, datasets and shares which I can access and use on my Windows laptop. I created 2 groups: Shares and PlexUsers. I created 2 users, mathieu (link to Shares as primary group and PlexUsers as auxiliary group) and plexuser (linked to PlexUsers as primary group).
In my Pool, I created 4 datasets:

datasets.PNG

For "Documents", "Media", "Photos", I assigned the following permissions:

shares.PNG

For MediaTest, I assigned the permissions to plexuser and PlexUsers.
In the share menu, I created the following windows shares:

smb.PNG

For some reason, I can access fine the 3 first with the credentials from the user mathieu, but I can not add the last one (PlexShare) as a network drive using the credentials from plexuser. I have no idea why it is not working for the last one. The only difference between both users is that mathieu is allowed to use sudo.

Secondly, I noticed that when I edit a user, e.g. mathieu, and add the permissions write for the group, it won't work. The next time I will edit again this user, the permissions will once again be unticked.

mathieu.PNG

Finally, I tried to install the Plex Media Server. I had no problem installing the plugin, login in, and mounting the dataset to a point within the jail.

mount.PNG

However, once in the Plex interface, I can not access the Data folder nor what is within. This folder actually contains subfolders (e.g. Movies, Series, ...) but displays as follows in the Plex interface:

plex.PNG

If I manually enter the desired path, I cannot scan the library. Nothing shows up.

At first, I thought that the mounting was not creating the folder correctly. Thus, before mounting the dataset to the Data folder, I manually created the folder through the shell with the commands:

cmds.PNG

And finally: mkdir Data.

I apologize for the long post, but I feel like the Permission problem is related to the Plex problem.
Explanations on what is wrong, why is it wrong and how to fix it would be appreciated. Thank you!

A FreeNAS newbie.

ddaenen1

Patron
I had the exact same problem with accessing my plex share when i set up my Plex server in FreeNAS for the first time. I found the easy workaround is to access the share via my Windows workstation in windows explorer and add "everyone" to the permissions of the plexshare. After that, you should see the folder in plex setup and you should be able to select the "Data" folder (white instead of greyed out) in the "add folder" set up of Plex.