Can't Access NAS From Network

StoreMore

Dabbler
Earlier today my main switch died, UniFi 48 Port :-( The only extra switch I have lying around is a 48 port Dell unit. I got everything cabled up but I can't access my TrueNAS over the network - no ping, web, smb, etc.

My nas was originally connected via a single 10G link using a 10Gtek DAC Cable to the UniFi switch. The temp switch does have several sfp ports so I figured it would auto-negotiate down to 1G but it didn't seem to work.

I plugged a standard network cable into one of the ports of my freenas and configured it. It gave a secondary IP to browse the web management interface but it didn't work. Page times out and address is unpingable. The original IP was also still unpingable.

I removed that and tried creating it as a link aggregation > failover device but that didn't seem to work either.

TrueNAS sees the linkstate as up for the newly connected network cable so I am not sure what I am missing.

Can anyone shine some light on what I may be missing so I can get access to my nas again.

Nick2253

Wizard
It's hard to know for sure what's going on. In theory, simply removing the old interface and adding the new one should work.

What is the 10G network adapter in your FreeNAS box? Presumably, the Dell switch has just SFP ports, and the NIC has SFP+ port(s). If you get a 1G DAC Cable, or two 1G Fiber adapters and a fiber cable, you should be able to connect through the existing interface.

From the FreeNAS console interface, you should be able to delete all the adapters/link aggregations, and then simply assign a static address to the normal ethernet adapter. Make sure you check for and remove any and all VLANS and routes that you might have set.

Also, just as a possible test, make sure whichever ports you're using on the Dell switch work. I've had some Dell switches where banks of ports would go bad.

StoreMore

Dabbler
I didn't try actually deleting the 10G original interface link as I am planning to use it again when the new switch comes in later this week. I had thought I could just add an additional one or make the new one a failover.

I don't have anyway to test the Dell ports. From a quick online search though it appears the DAC cables aren't compatible (different coding scheme). I could order a new cable but the new switch will likely arrive before I get new cables.

I'll give your suggestion of deleting all the interfaces and adding just the new link back a try.

Thanks!

StoreMore

Dabbler
It's hard to know for sure what's going on. In theory, simply removing the old interface and adding the new one should work.

What is the 10G network adapter in your FreeNAS box? Presumably, the Dell switch has just SFP ports, and the NIC has SFP+ port(s). If you get a 1G DAC Cable, or two 1G Fiber adapters and a fiber cable, you should be able to connect through the existing interface.

From the FreeNAS console interface, you should be able to delete all the adapters/link aggregations, and then simply assign a static address to the normal ethernet adapter. Make sure you check for and remove any and all VLANS and routes that you might have set.

Also, just as a possible test, make sure whichever ports you're using on the Dell switch work. I've had some Dell switches where banks of ports would go bad.

Thanks again for the reply. I deleted all interfaces including the additional vlan. Added, the new Ethernet connection and updated its interface to my previous static IP. The web interface was available immediately. A reboot was required for me to ping it and access the file shares. All is good now :smile: