Can't access FTP from WAN and strange local ftp issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMikken

Cadet
Hello people!

I have an odd problem that I can't seem to solve. I am running FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64.

Problem Nr 1
When I connect using my external adress via filezilla, I can't get a connection. When I try with Online FTP tester everything goes well until the end:

Command: MLSD
Reply: 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for MLSD
Error: Malformed directory listing
Error: Line feed received without preceding carriage return

And..

• The replies sent by your server are violating the FTP specifications.
  • You have to upgrade to a proper server.
Everything has been port-forwarded and we have a an other NAS that works perfectly accessing from the outside.
It worked earlier when I was running 9.2 RC but then I upgraded to 9.2.1.1 and everything went to shit. Downgraded to 9.2 RELEASE and now FTP doesn't work properly.

Problem Nr 2
I can connect locally only if I have set a home directory for a user, otherwise I just get this message:

Response:220 ProFTPD 1.3.4d Server (freenas.local FTP Server) [::ffff:192.168.0.50]
Command:USER test
Response:331 Password required for mdu
Command:PASS ***
Response:530 Login incorrect.
Error:Critical error
Error:Could not connect to server

Is there anyone who knows what is going on?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Oh.. this will be fun. You hung yourself the second you said "everything has been port forwarded".

Queue up the people that are about to tell you that your security choices are lacking, and then don't actually help you because we don't want to give the impression that this is in any way a recommended configuration.

Hint: If you were using VPN then you would not have this problem. :)

DrMikken

Cadet
I know using a VPN wouldn't be a problem. But right now I only have the option of using FTP/SFTP.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, good luck to you sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.