can't access freenas but can ping

stryker1776

Cadet
hi, thanks for reviewing. i did the searching of google and forums prior to this post so that i don't waste anyone's time. can't figure it out and really don't want to execute a hard shutdown/reboot. any input is greatly appreciated.

i am unsure what i've done in the past 24 hours to the box but she has been running swimmingly well for a year on 11.2. box consists of a supermicro board with dual cpus, generous amount of ram and a sixteen 8TB drives. again, everything was running fine until last night. i did attempt to make a jail, which didn't work out. then i attempted to make a VM, also unsuccessful but i can confirm no networking changes were made to the box as a whole, only jail and vm setups with dataset subdirectories. it's quite possible i ran and update unknowingly to freenas but i never do that as my 11.2 has been running fine. there's only one plugin at the moment, which i can't access either.

i can ping her as seen below but i cannot ssh in.
fn.ping.png

i tried jacking in directly to the box but still same results with ssh and also the web front-end
Screenshot_2019-06-16 FreeNAS - 172 16 1 172.png

then i tried to see what's going on from a monitor output and the box is scrolling swap_buffer indefinitely msg

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
and really don't want to execute a hard shutdown/reboot.
Why not? This may solve your issue. And if it does you should ensure your run a SMART Long Test on all your drives and verify no errors when it completes.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
i am unsure what i've done in the past 24 hours to the box but she has been running swimmingly well for a year on 11.2. box consists of a supermicro board with dual cpus, generous amount of ram and a sixteen 8TB drives. again, everything was running fine until last night
The kind of error you describe is often caused by a failed boot media. Please give all details of your hardware using this as an example:
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/forum-guidelines.45124

The details matter.

joeschmuck

Old Man
often caused by a failed boot media
I wouldn't have thought that. I was thinking more to be the location of where the SWAP files are located (typically on the VDEV drives), but thankfully I get to learn something new everyday.

stryker1776

Cadet
The kind of error you describe is often caused by a failed boot media. Please give all details of your hardware using this as an example:
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/forum-guidelines.45124

The details matter.
  • Motherboard: Supermicro X8DT6
  • CPU: Dual Xeon X5680
  • RAM: 48GB DDR3
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives: Host boot drive is a 128GB Intel SSD (older but hadn't been used since build in 11/18), sixteen 8TB WD blacks OR whites (i forget). not using the chenbro backplane so no power issue to drives. setup as raidz3 configuration
  • Hard disk controllers: Dual LSI 9211-8I HBAs flashed in IT mode. there's an LSI expander in there too but i forget the model
  • Network cards: Dual onboard Intel 82574L Gigabit
EDIT: you had mentioned a failed boot media. wouldn't that only have been triggered upon boot? i hadn't restarted this machine in months

stryker1776

Cadet
Why not? This may solve your issue. And if it does you should ensure your run a SMART Long Test on all your drives and verify no errors when it completes.
unsure if it's solved the problem but i did it and she's rebooted and accessible! thank you!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
EDIT: you had mentioned a failed boot media. wouldn't that only have been triggered upon boot? i hadn't restarted this machine in months
No. What version of FreeNAS are you using?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't have thought that. I was thinking more to be the location of where the SWAP files are located (typically on the VDEV drives), but thankfully I get to learn something new everyday.
I have seen it happen both ways.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
There have been a lot of updates, some very important. I would suggest moving from the Release Candidate to U4.1 (latest) as soon as possible.