Can't access encrypted Volume after upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

xoration

Cadet
Hello,

I have a bit of a problem even tho I probably know the answear, well I still have to ask....

I had a backup of the GELI Encryption key but I did one mistake I did not check the backup BEFORE upgrading....... After upgrading I noticed my backup is not readable/accessable anymore.

I did an upgrade via the GUI in Freenas using the memory option. Now is there ANY chance to recover my GELI encryption key so my data will be accessable again?

Maybe on the USB Stick somwhere? Or is it completely erased after a upgrade via the Webgui?

Thanks anyway.

Apollo

Wizard
Have you tried reverting back to the OS before the update?
I did updates mine over the week end and my backup drive was gone from the GUI. Reloading back to before the update and my disk is available.
I could still access the backup drive content over SSH.

xoration

Cadet
How would you revert back? I already checked there is no zfs snapshot on the install drive or something.

xoration

Cadet
No, there is only initial install and default for whatever reason?

Which are the same.

xoration

Cadet
Via the GUI. System -> Update. It looked different but still. I had to download the image it asked me for the images and where to extract, I selected into memory and it did everything rebootet and there was the new version.

I never pulled of the usb stick or anything.

rogerh

Guru
gg
Via the GUI. System -> Update. It looked different but still. I had to download the image it asked me for the images and where to extract, I selected into memory and it did everything rebootet and there was the new version.

I never pulled of the usb stick or anything.
Do you have two different boot snapshots with the same name or just one? If two, activate the original install and boot into it. If only one, it looks as though you reinstalled rather than updated. This is FreeNAS 9.3 I suppose?

xoration

Cadet
Yes freenas 9,3. No only 1 or rather 2 the Default and the Initial Install but both have the same date. So I guess they are actually the same.

rogerh

Guru
Yes freenas 9,3. No only 1 or rather 2 the Default and the Initial Install but both have the same date. So I guess they are actually the same.
If the encrypted pool was working with the initial install it is still worth booting into this, even though it is the same version, in case some information has been changed by the update.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you upgrade I don't think you need the encryption key, it should still be there on your boot media and you just need the password to unlock the key. If they key is gone then you didn't upgrade you didnt' something else that you aren't telling us.

xoration

Cadet
Well it isn't there apparently. And why should I lie about it wtf? It does not help me at all, no?!

rogerh, I tried it but it seems to be the initial install after the upgrade. Anyway thanks like I assumed the key is lost. And again I did the upgrade via the GUI... 9.2.1 -> 9.3

hugovsky

Guru
Well it isn't there apparently. And why should I lie about it wtf? It does not help me at all, no?!

rogerh, I tried it but it seems to be the initial install after the upgrade. Anyway thanks like I assumed the key is lost. And again I did the upgrade via the GUI... 9.2.1 -> 9.3

well... this is the first time you mention 9.2 to 9.3 upgrade. Everybody was thinking you were updating within 9.3 branch. If you upgraded your 9.2 install to 9.3, I think you lost yoir pool. You should had backed up your config and keys to restore later or, at least, try with a difernte usb pen drive to save your previous install.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
well... this is the first time you mention 9.2 to 9.3 upgrade. Everybody was thinking you were updating within 9.3 branch. If you upgraded your 9.2 install to 9.3, I think you lost yoir pool. You should had backed up your config and keys to restore later or, at least, try with a difernte usb pen drive to save your previous install.

Basically... this. You should have backed up your encryption keys. The keys are lost when you upgrade from 9.2.x to 9.3 since the entire boot device is repartitioned.

So if you don't have a backup of your keys somewhere, you are welcome to try to crack AES-128. But the data is basically inaccessible. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.