Cannot start any service under VirtualBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyfl

Cadet
Hi,

I have a fundamental problem when testing FreeNAS 8.0.2 under VirtualBox. That being is that all services are "off" and I cannot start any, not even SSH. When attemtping to start SSH or CIFS or any other I get the error at the top of the web page "the service could not be started".
Any ideas what might cause this?

thanks in advance Andy.

vibe666

Dabbler
i've got no idea, but i am having the exact same issue running freenas 8.0.2 under ESXi5 as well.

i *could* actually start the services initially after building the box, but once i changed the password everything stopped working.

i've rebuilt the VM from scratch, but the problem is still there.

i just tried a factory reset and then importing the data volume and re-adding the share, but it's still not working and i can't start ANY services at all.

vibe666

Dabbler
i left my v-freenas box going overnight and i was able to start services the next day.

the problem i have now is that the CIFS share keeps disappearing periodically, which is making synchronisation of my 5tb of data on my old NAS a very slow and laborious task.

the NAS itself stays pingable, so i can only assume it's the CIFS share itself, although the freenas gui still says CIFS is running.

vibe666

Dabbler
it seems like the i386 version of freenas8 doesn't like running on 64bit capable hardware at all, even if you are running it in a 32bit VM.

i've upgraded to the AMD64 version today which is meant for *any* 64bit capable CPU (inc. Intel, not just AMD, despite what the name suggests) and after the upgrade it is working fine (touch wood) and services are able to be started and stopped normally.

i couldn't get the GUI upgrade to run, but booting off the AMD64 ISO did the trick and it imported all my settings from the previous 32bit install without any issues (as far as I can tell), other than this version seems to take a lot longer to boot than the old one.

i'm half thinking of creating a fresh VM for a clean 64bit install and then just importing my data volume to see how that goes, but for now i'm just happy it's working. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.