Cannot Replace MIRROR Drive without Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

Cadet
I offlined mfisyspd0 using the GUI. I then removed the drive from the hot swap backplane, recorded the serial and replaced the drive. I assumed it would need to resilver a few MB of data and then the pool would be 100%. I understand now that the drive needs to be completely resilvered using the replace function.

However, I select the drive and click replace. When the popup loads, in the drop down to select the replacement disk is empty. I played around for a while, removing and reinserting different identical disks to no avail. I was only able to resolve this by rebooting.

I am running the latest version of FreeNAS. All 8 1TB WD RE4 disks are connected via a LSI MegaRAID 9240-8i in JBOD. ZFS is setup with 1 BIGPOOL of 4 1TB mirrors.

I have replaced disks without rebooting so this does not happen every time. How do you manually force the operating system to detect the disks without a reboot? Surely people aren't bringing their mission critical SANs down all the time to replace a single spindle...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Some hardware doesn't take to hot swapping well. Hot swap works only when the hardware, driver, and OS are designed for it. There's a reason why I do not even try to hotswap and/or hotplug drives with the system on. It doesn't always work and it's not worth my time to deal with it. I'd rather just do a shutdown and know that it WILL work properly that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.