Cannot Replace a Bad Drive (i read and seach previously...), please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fede2222

Dabbler
[Solved] Cannot Replace a Bad Drive (i read and seach previously...), please help

Hi

I'm using freenas about 3 months without problems, rellay happy. I'm relative new to freenas but not to computers, but i cant do the right thing with this.

I have 2 raidz arrays. On one of them, it appeared a bad disk. I identified the disk, removed (raidz degraded), put new disk (it been used on another RaidZ). Then from GUI went to Storage -> View Disks -> Replace.

First error, it said something about this disk it was used on another raidz. Ok, i clean the disk with the following alternatives (reading other posts and internet) and try with 2 different disks:
- dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada1 bs=512 count=1
- using diskpart on windows with the clean command
- low level format of the first 100Mb

When i tried to replace the disk the error was "Unable to GTP format disk ada7"... i dont know to do... please help.

The disks are WD20EARS Green 2tb (all of them) forced to 4kb, Freenas 8.0.2, and two raidz of 4 disks each one. One raidz is healty, the other degraded.

thanks in advance.

fede2222

Dabbler
Hi

I'm using freenas about 3 months without problems, rellay happy. I'm relative new to freenas but not to computers, but i cant do the right thing with this.

I have 2 raidz arrays. On one of them, it appeared a bad disk. I identified the disk, removed (raidz degraded), put new disk (it been used on another RaidZ). Then from GUI went to Storage -> View Disks -> Replace.

First error, it said something about this disk it was used on another raidz. Ok, i clean the disk with the following alternatives (reading other posts and internet) and try with 2 different disks:
- dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada1 bs=512 count=1
- using diskpart on windows with the clean command
- low level format of the first 100Mb

When i tried to replace the disk the error was "Unable to GTP format disk ada7"... i dont know to do... please help.

The disks are WD20EARS Green 2tb (all of them) forced to 4kb, Freenas 8.0.2, and two raidz of 4 disks each one. One raidz is healty, the other degraded.

thanks in advance.

The problem was not because the partition table. I did "replace" from the GUI and don't figured that before the "Unable to GTP format disk ada7" it says something about can't replace because the disk is used on another raidz array. I replaced from the command line with the -f parameter and did it ok. I suspected that if i wipe out the disk it doesn't recognize the previous raid, but i'm wrong. Because Freenas has saved somewhere the gptid of previous raidz arrays, when i create the partitions for replace, the Operating System make the same gtpid, even with the wiped disk.

I post the solution to help someone in the same situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.