Cannot Import NTFS HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've just installed FreeNAS 11u2 on my HP Microservers and setup the storage space. I'm still on 1GbE so I'm hoping to populate my datasets via NTFS USB3 External HDDs that I use for cold storage. According to the user guide, this is done in the FreeNAS GUI through Storage>Import Disk, one disk at a time.

Unfortunately this has not been working for me, instead I get the following message/error:

"fuse-freebsd: version 0.4.4, FUSE ABI 7.8
Jul 31 20:19:50 Cube /sockscopy: [sockscopy:316] Import of Volume /dev/da1s1 encountered the following error NamedTemporaryFile() got an unexpected keyword argument 'bufsize' "

I googled it and found some posts from 5yrs ago, they seemed to be from people trying to run Fuse in jails, which they were advised couldn't happen, or from people wanting to do the same thing as me, who were either advised to "do it manually" or to double handle the data onto a windows machine and then populate Freenas via ethernet.

I'm new to FreeNAS and I expect plenty has changed in 5yrs, so I've come to ask if there is something I'm missing in the "Import Disk" process, or if there is a way I can do this "manually". I'd really like to do this via USB3 if possible as it will save me a massive amount of time. I have 4 of these machines to get running ASAP. Thanks very much for your time.

Box Specs are:

2x HP N40L Microserver, 8GB ECC, 4x3TB HDD
1x HP N36L Microserver, 8GB ECC, 4x3TB HDD
1x HP Gen8 Microserver, e3 1230 Xeon, 16GB ECC, 4x4TB HDD

D

dlavigne

That's an ABI error and sounds like a bug due to the transition from 10 to 11 in the base.

Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org that includes that message and post the issue number here.

Mikrz

Cadet
That's an ABI error and sounds like a bug due to the transition from 10 to 11 in the base.

Please create a bug report at bugs.freenas.org that includes that message and post the issue number here.

Hello dlavigne, I noticed this thread early yesterday morning. It seems theshangumtree has yet to create a bug report and I am also experiencing the same error over SATA instead so I took the liberty of creating a bug report myself. If you'd like, my bug is #25427.

Psilidae

Cadet
I don't know if this will be helpful, but I figure I'll add more details from my own experience with this issue.

This is the output of tail /var/log/messages:

Code:
Aug  3 22:57:32 freenas fuse-freebsd: version 0.4.4, FUSE ABI 7.8																  
Aug  3 22:57:32 freenas (da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): READ(10). CDB: 28 00 00 00 08 00 00 01 00 00										
Aug  3 22:57:32 freenas (da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error													  
Aug  3 22:57:32 freenas (da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition														
Aug  3 22:57:32 freenas (da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): SCSI sense: NOT READY asc:4,1 (Logical unit is in process of becoming ready)		
Aug  3 22:57:32 freenas (da1:umass-sim1:1:0:0): Polling device for readiness														
Aug  3 22:57:37 freenas ntfs-3g[70604]: Version 2016.2.22 external FUSE 29														
Aug  3 22:57:37 freenas ntfs-3g[70604]: Mounted /dev/da1s1 (Read-Only, label "ExternalAlpha", NTFS 3.1)							
Aug  3 22:57:37 freenas ntfs-3g[70604]: Cmdline options: ro																		
Aug  3 22:57:37 freenas ntfs-3g[70604]: Mount options: ro,allow_other,nonempty,relatime,fsname=/dev/da1s1						  
Aug  3 22:57:37 freenas ntfs-3g[70604]: Ownership and permissions disabled, configuration type 1									
Aug  3 22:57:37 freenas /sockscopy: [sockscopy:316] Import of Volume /dev/da1s1 encoutered the following error NamedTemporaryFile() got an unexpected keyword argument 'bufsize'																						
Aug  3 22:57:37 freenas ntfs-3g[70604]: Unmounting /dev/da1s1 (ExternalAlpha)

I have literally no experience with FreeNAS nor its codebase, but it looks like the issue is line 229 of the sockscopy file—fairly obvious based on the error, though I don't know why the line numbers don't match up. The error is pretty clear, NamedTemporaryFile() doesn't have a 'bufsize' argument in Python 3. I'm not well versed in Python, but it seems that because the default value for the new buffer argument is None, my naive guess is that simply deleting the bufsize argument would fix the problem.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
There is already a bug for this. Make sure you always post your hardware specs and FreeNAS version when posting.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Psilidae

Cadet
As I said before, I have no experience with FreeNAS so there might be unintended consequences here. If you do this manually, do it at your own risk. However, I just edited /usr/local/bin/sockscopy, and changed the aforementioned line 229—if you use vi for editing, just type :229 to jump to that line—from:

Code:
proc_stdout_orig = NamedTemporaryFile(mode="wb", bufsize=0, delete=False)

to:

Code:
proc_stdout_orig = NamedTemporaryFile(mode="wb", buffering=0, delete=False)

it appears to fix the problem. My import still in progress, but it's definitely actually importing the contents of the disk now. From what I've read of the documentation, this appears to properly replicate the same functionality.

Last edited:
Sorry for being tardy to my own party! It looks like everyone here knows more about what they are talking about than I do, so I'm going to assume that this has been resolved by the bug report and my options for mounting an NTFS drive are to wait for a forthcoming update to FreeNAS 11 or to install a previous version. Thanks very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.