Cannot get Plex to see data - TrueNAS

I've been trying to get my server up and running after upgrading from FreeNAS to TrueNAS. The Plex plug in is not playing nicely. of course I followed the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=looBzNEtjDQ but it didn't work for me. The TrueNAS manual didn't seem to offer more insight, other than to disable hardware loading (which I did) TrueNAS did not like the whole "792" thing. And, when I first enter the URL for plex, it asks me to log in, then the next screen is just a spinning circle icon for over 10 minutes. after deleting and reinstalling the plex plug three times, I ran out of patience, shut down the whole thing. Before I take an axe to it, can anyone please tell me what i'm doing wrong? I've been reading about a great many people having problems with the Plex plug in. If there is an alternate that will allow me to use a Raspberry PI as a client, well I'm all ears... Ever since day one with this (Yes, at one time it was running FreeNAS and streaming plex to my PI just fine until the power went blip and my router hiccuped even though I have a UPS) this nasty Plex plug-in just is so fussy and infuriating.

Ditch plugins forever. So here is a single command you can run from a root command terminal to create the jail, install and start plex. I just tested it and it works. Open a shell from the left menu in the TrueNAS GUI and paste this command once you have edited it to work on your system.

Please take note several things in this command.
1. You need to adjust the IP to match your network, this needs to be a unique IP on the network. Its a great idea to use the same IP address for plex you always have, so the router forwardings play nicely. If you are keeping any other running jail named plex, you should not choose the same IP address (see #3). 2. You also might need to change DEFAULTROUTER this is simply your router address. 3. There can not be another jail already named plex, however, the command can also be updated anytime you see the lowercase "plex" to whatever you would like i.e. plex1 or whatnot if a plex jail exists, and you want to keep it. Otherwise you can destroy any existing plex jail from the GUI or with the following command at a terminal (CAREFUL). iocage stop plex && iocage destroy plex

iocage create -r 13.1-RELEASE -n plex ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.1.119/24" defaultrouter=192.168.1.1 vnet=on boot=on allow_raw_sockets=1 host_hostname="PLEX" && iocage exec plex pkg install -y plexmediaserver && iocage exec plex sysrc plexmediaserver_enable=YES && iocage exec plex service plexmediaserver start

Lastly you will want to mount your data locations to the newly created plex jail. This is done via the GUI in the JAIL section. The jail must be stopped to do this, it warns you to stop it if you dont just know to stop it first.. Then restart the jail once you are mounted.

Then simply you visit whatever IP you chose in the command. i.e. http://192.168.1.119:32400/web/ It should trigger the "install".

Also the user @danb35 has a great script here that does this same thing and other cool stuff but could be outside your skill level.

Last edited:
Ditch plugins forever. So here is a single command you can run from a root command terminal to create the jail, install and start plex. I just tested it and it works. Open a shell from the left menu in the TrueNAS GUI and paste this command once you have edited it to work on your system.

Please take note several things in this command.
1. You need to adjust the IP to match your network, this needs to be a unique IP on the network. Its a great idea to use the same IP address for plex you always have, so the router forwardings play nicely. If you are keeping any other running jail named plex, you should not choose the same IP address (see #3). 2. You also might need to change DEFAULTROUTER this is simply your router address. 3. There can not be another jail already named plex, however, the command can also be updated anytime you see the lowercase "plex" to whatever you would like i.e. plex1 or whatnot if a plex jail exists, and you want to keep it. Otherwise you can destroy any existing plex jail from the GUI or with the following command at a terminal (CAREFUL). iocage stop plex && iocage destroy plex

iocage create -r 13.1-RELEASE -n plex ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.1.119/24" defaultrouter=192.168.1.1 vnet=on boot=on allow_raw_sockets=1 host_hostname="PLEX" && iocage exec plex pkg install -y plexmediaserver && iocage exec plex sysrc plexmediaserver_enable=YES && iocage exec plex service plexmediaserver start

Lastly you will want to mount your data locations to the newly created plex jail. This is done via the GUI in the JAIL section. The jail must be stopped to do this, it warns you to stop it if you dont just know to stop it first.. Then restart the jail once you are mounted.

Then simply you visit whatever IP you chose in the command. i.e. http://192.168.1.119:32400/web/ It should trigger the "install".

Also the user @danb35 has a great script here that does this same thing and other cool stuff but could be outside your skill level.
Thanks for the info. I may do that, or just install plex on my window's client and map to the server as a Z: drive.

Ok good luck with it.