Cannot access storage within jail (Plex and Sabnzbd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rorschach

Cadet
Hello guys,

as the title says, I cannot access my existing data on my HDD.

Here are my basic specs & configuration:
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201506292130
Plexmediaserver 0.9.12.8.1362 plexmediaserver-0.9.12.8.1362-amd64
Sabnzbd 0.7.20 sabnzbd-0.7.20-amd64

Users (3 manually added):
  • Rorschach, UID 1001 (my primary Account, same user name as on my Windows-PC)
  • media, UID 816, password login disabled (added because of FREENAS\WD-Red-3TB\jails\sabnzbd_1\etc\passwd)
  • plex, UID 972, password login disabled (added because of FREENAS\WD-Red-3TB\jails\plexmediaserver_1\etc\passwd)

Groups (3 manually added):
  • "Rorschach", which contains the users "Rorschach" (automatically created on creating the user), "media" and plex. Do I have to add the user "Rorschach" manually to this group?
  • "media", GID 816,(added because of FREENAS\WD-Red-3TB\jails\sabnzbd_1\etc\group)
  • "plex", GID 972,(added because of FREENAS\WD-Red-3TB\jails\plexmediaserver_1\etc\group)

Storage - 1 HDD (3TB)

• Plex and Sabnzbd should access dataset "mnt/WD-Red-3TB/Media" (owned by user Rorschach and group Rorschach, both of them have rwx-rights.):

• both jails for Plex and Sabnzbd are owned by root and wheel (by default), is this correct?

Jails
  • both jails (Plex and Sabnzbd) have "/mnt/WD-Red-3TB/Media" as source and "/media" (within the jail) as added storage, which is mounted by default:

Plex:
  • when I try to add media to the plex-server, the folder "/media" is empty, but it should be connected with "/mnt/WD-Red-3TB/Media":

Sabnzbd:
  • same porblem here:

Do you know how I can fix my problems?
Thanks in advance :)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
The permissions of your jail datasets should never be changed, and if you do change them your jail will be broken and no longer work properly.

Since plex and sabnzbd processes run in their respective jails that is where group membership is evaluated, respective to their own jails group database. What you are tryin to do is essentially "Solution 3" from my permission thread linked.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/

Rorschach

Cadet
The permissions of your jail datasets should never be changed, and if you do change them your jail will be broken and no longer work properly.

Since plex and sabnzbd processes run in their respective jails that is where group membership is evaluated, respective to their own jails group database. What you are tryin to do is essentially "Solution 3" from my permission thread linked.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/
Hi,

I followed your instructions in the section "Solution 3". In the beginning I thought it worked, because I could add a folder within the dataset Media, but Plex showed no files in this folder.
Does somebody have an idea or solution?
thx!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi,

I followed your instructions in the section "Solution 3". In the beginning I thought it worked, because I could add a folder within the dataset Media, but Plex showed no files in this folder.
Does somebody have an idea or solution?
thx!
how did you add the folder? can you show the output of 'ls -l /path/to/folder'

Rorschach

Cadet
how did you add the folder? can you show the output of 'ls -l /path/to/folder'
I get the message: "ls: /mnt/WD-Red-3-TB/Media/Filme: No such file or directory"
But as you can see in the background, the path exists and I can access the files in this folder via LAN (so it is not empty)

Here is a screenshot of the "empty" folder in plex:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
you got the error from the command because you put "3-TB" instead of 3TB

jail mount points will only mount files of single dataset into a jail, and won't bring in it's children. you only mounted in the Media dataset, not the Media/Filme dataset.

in my personally setup, I have a single 'media' dataset which has my videos/tvshows/movies all as seperate folders. in this case a single jail mount will work.

Rorschach

Cadet
My bad, stupid typing error... Thx! Is there a way to mount the children of the Media dataset?
But I use the different datasets also for seperation, like you do in your setup. Do I have to change the datasets to simple folders?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
My bad, stupid typing error... Thx! Is there a way to mount the children of the Media dataset?
But I use the different datasets also for seperation, like you do in your setup. Do I have to change the datasets to simple folders?
you either need to use folders instead, or make a jail mount for each dataset. this a limitation of nullfs (which is what the jail storage tab uses).

Rorschach

Cadet
Hmm now I have another issue:
I followed the "Solution 3" of the linked post for sabnzbd, downloading works, but sabnzbd failed to create a folder for the unpacked files.
Dows anybody know how to fix this?
Thx!

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hmm now I have another issue:
I followed the "Solution 3" of the linked post for sabnzbd, downloading works, but sabnzbd failed to create a folder for the unpacked files.
Dows anybody know how to fix this?
Thx!
please show the output of the following..
ls -l /path/to/folder

Status
Not open for further replies.