Cannot access FreeNAS from across subnets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally we had two subnets on the same switch.

Everything would work fine except for SSH across the subnets. For troubleshooting we installed a second switch and separated the subnets.

Every server except two still worked perfectly and confirmed everything on our Juniper router.

There was one linux server(10.0.1.32) that couldn't ping 10.0.0.200and vice versa.

To resolve this issue on the linux server (10.0.1.32) it was as simple as:
/sbin/route add -net 0.0.0.0 gw 10.0.1.1 eth0

The FreeNAS server IP: 10.0.1.19 can only be reached on the 10.0.1.1 subnet. I cannot ping 10.0.0.200 from the FreeNAS server or vice versa.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

c32767a

Patron
Have you looked in the CLI under the general networking section to see if the default gateway is specified?
You want to ensure it's set to the IP of your router. 10.0.1.1. My guess is it's set to something else, or not set at all.
If that's done and you still don't have connectivity, what does "ifconfig -a" and "netstat -rn" produce?

I actually found the issue, which seems to be a bug in 8.3.1. Trust me I checked everything haha.

I removed both network nics in the GUI. Then added back 10.0.1.19 with /24 subnet and it all started working.

But now I cant add 10.0.1.20 to the second nic because i already have 10.0.1.0 so I added manually with ifconfig from the shell.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So you have 2 NICs on the same subnet?

Did you see the sticky that is at the top of the Networking section of the forums?

http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/multiple-network-interfaces-on-a-single-subnet.20204/

It's not a bug at all. You aren't supposed to do that and you are breaking things by forcing what, for all intents and purposes, is an invalid configuration. So no, it's not a bug. It's user error to do what you are doing. You may say that this "makes it work" but I can guarantee you on no uncertain terms that there's certainly more problems than this and you are doing the proverbial "two wrongs will make it right" scenario.

Frankly, if the WebGUI *didn't* prevent you from doing this, then I would be concerned. That *would* be a bug.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No worries. I think you might have been the guy in IRC the other day asking how to do this too.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
wasn't me. I'm not the OP and I don't do IRC.

Oh. Had someone in IRC 2 or 3 days ago asking for something like this. Thankfully he couldn't figure it out and was forced to follow standard networking procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.