Can you install or configure FreeNAS without ZFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnasPksky

Cadet
I would like to try FreeNAS, but the memory requirements for ZFS or way too high. Can I install FreeNAS without ZFS or configure storage so as not to use ZFS and bypass the high memory requirements?

D

dlavigne

If a minimum of 8GB RAM is too high, FreeNAS is probably not for you. Beginning with 9.3, FreeNAS is ZFS-only.

fracai

Guru
Versions prior to 9.3 allow UFS, though jails are only supported on ZFS. I think you can get jails running on UFS prior to the 9.2 series, but I don't recall that clearly.

I'd suggest you install FreeNAS under VirtualBox and see what it has to offer. If it's compelling, save up and build a proper system. There are other NAS systems that can be put together with lower requirements.

fnasPksky

Cadet
Versions prior to 9.3 allow UFS, though jails are only supported on ZFS. I think you can get jails running on UFS prior to the 9.2 series, but I don't recall that clearly.

I'd suggest you install FreeNAS under VirtualBox and see what it has to offer. If it's compelling, save up and build a proper system. There are other NAS systems that can be put together with lower requirements.

Were you addressing my question, "Are there earlier versions where ZFS is only an option?" I can't tell.

I need to know, are there earlier versions of FreeNAS where it is possible to run FreeNAS without using ZFS so that I don't need so much memory.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
FreeNAS is memory-heavy regardless, and there are security vulnerabilities in the older versions too.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Were you addressing my question, "Are there earlier versions where ZFS is only an option?" I can't tell.

I need to know, are there earlier versions of FreeNAS where it is possible to run FreeNAS without using ZFS so that I don't need so much memory.
The easiest answer while preventing future issues and headaches would be, NO.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Sorry but this has been discussed to death. If you can't do ZFS for whatever reason, FreeNAS isn't for you. Using older versions is not a very smart option and trying to bend the OS to work with sub-par hardware is going to end in tears and lost data.

Locking this thread as there is nothing to discuss. This is a flame-war topic just waiting for a spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.