Can You Add a ZFS Cache Drive to an Existing ZFS RAID-Z2 Volume?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yellowbeard

Dabbler
I have an existing FreeNAS setup updated to 8.3 tonight, hardware is listed below. I have a single RAID-Z2 volume using 6 Hitachi 2TB HHDs. The ICH10-R controller on the MOBO has only 6 SATA ports but the onboard Marvell controller has 2 open SATA-2 ports.

In general, if I have room for it assuming FreeNAS plays nice with the Marvell controller, can I add a caching drive to the existing volume or, does that have to be done at the initial configuration? Would I have to delete and rebuild the array and assign the cache drive then?

The server is primarily a home media server where I also store duplicate copies of work and other stuff. The workload is not high by any means so, there may not even be a need for a caching drive. I do have a spare SATA2 SSD laying around though so it's doing nothing and can be used if there is any gain to be had.

Thanks in advance.

ASUS P5Q Pro
Core 2 Duo 6300 CPU
4 x 4GB DDR2-800 Corsair
6 x Hitachi ????? 2TB HDDs
OS resides on an 8GB Flash Drive
Intel NIC and Network is all Gigabit

ProtoSD

MVP
Don't post questions in the HowTo section of the forums, it is for tutorials only!

Yellowbeard

Dabbler
Don't post questions in the HowTo section of the forums, it is for tutorials only!

Ooops, sorry. I was searching that other section, trying to find my answer before posting and forgot to go back to the Help n Support area. Thanks for moving it. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.