SOLVED Can Someone Interpret This For Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiceTry

Explorer
Now that I know what to look for, I searched for Realtek issues. The problems I found dated back several years, with FreeBSD, Linux, Ubuntu, etc. users/developers complaining about interface lockup in high data rate scenarios. All with the dreaded "re0 watchdog timeout" and subsequent required reboot as a common thread. No solutions confirmed short of using an Intel NIC.

No getting around it, the Realtek 8111 and other variants are a chronic problem for high speed sustained throughput. The only posts that succeeded did so by somehow throttling the thing back. At 100Mb/s there seem to be no problems. A data point to be sure but not a useful solution.

I hope to get an Intel PCI-e NIC on Monday.

NiceTry

Explorer
Intel NIC installed. Realtek disabled in BIOS. re0 (Realtek) deleted from FreeNAS network interfaces list. Network parameters established on Intel NIC.

Tests indicate success with file copy dataset to dataset. No lockup. Speed ~75MB/s total for simultaneous read/write. Single transfers achieve ~90MB/s write, 85MB/s read for 7.39GB file.

More testing to build confidence. If successful, will rebuild system to cure permissions problem. Then I'm done! Thanks to all who contributed.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Sorry you had that issue in the first place. I'm still curious if one of the FreeNAS version didn't lend a hand to this problem becasue I know I tested the crap out of FreeNAS when I got into it a few years back. Glad you got it working.. Which NIC did you purchase? This would be helpful for others who run into a RealTek issue.

NiceTry

Explorer
Thanks, Joe.

Until I got the board I just replaced, I had used Intel chipset motherboards. The reason I used an extra NIC in my original setup was that the built-in was 10/100 ethernet. The server ran fine but I did not test for sustained high speed performance.

I got the EPXI9301CT (BLK) PCI-e NIC from a local computer tech guy. The "BLK" suffix indicates OEM packaging.

I still won't know if the problem is with the Realtek hardware or driver. Since these things are so pervasive in the Windows world and seem successful there, I'm guessing it's a driver issue for us *nix users. Although I'm curious, I have no way to differentiate it nor can I do anything about it anyhow. All I know is that the function has a problem and replacing the entire kit fixes it. I think I found out that the drivers in FreeBSD (and probably other non-windows OS's) are sourced from Realtek. Maybe they'll respond if properly motivated (yeah, right...).

I'm composing a summary of symptoms to post on the forum to help individuals in the community diagnose this issue.

What started out as weird log reports and what appeared to be random failures led to testing that narrowed the field of culprits. It wasn't until Cyberjock brought up the Realtek problems that I finally figured out the right question to ask and how the symptoms related to it. The Realtek problem reflects back into the system and manifests itself in many ways.

I see you've added the Intel NIC to your signature. Does that mean your testing was successful?

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
The Intel NIC works great and the RealTek fails under FreeNAS 9.2.1.6. I have no plans to move backwards just to test it out, it's not worth the effort or grief. And Cyberjock will now has his way with me as I will now proclaim that RealTek NICs are not very reliable under FreeNAS 9.2.1.6. That is as far as I'm going with it and I will recommend to anyone buying our ASUS MB to also purchase an Intel NIC.

Yea, I knew the BLK meant it was a Bulk (OEM) packaging and it saved me a few bucks over a boxed version. When purchasing from NewEgg, OEM is fine because if it doesn't work, I can return it without any issues from NewEgg. I have the second Intel NIC in another computer that had a failed MB NIC. At least it was put to good use.

And as you said, Windoze seemingly has no issue with RealTek NICs, not sure why FreeBSD does.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
And Cyberjock will now has his way with me as I will now proclaim that RealTek NICs are not very reliable under FreeNAS 9.2.1.6. That is as far as I'm going with it and I will recommend to anyone buying our ASUS MB to also purchase an Intel NIC.

*prepares the 55 gallon drum of lube!*

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm yours master, I'm yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.