Can someone explain this

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalon60

Guru
I have added another 2TB hard disk to my other x3 2TB and now have a RAIDZ2 configuration.

When I look at 'Volumes' on the Freenas GUI, I see this:
WinShare 1.2TiB used (16%) 6TiB Available
WinShare 596.4 GiB used (17%) 2.8TiB Available Compression lz4

It is a bit confusing, as I don't know if its 6TiB space left or 2.8TiB space left

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have added another 2TB hard disk to my other x3 2TB and now have a RAIDZ2 configuration.

Did you destroy the pool and recreate it as RAIDZ2?

enemy85

Guru

When I look at 'Volumes' on the Freenas GUI, I see this:
WinShare 1.2TiB used (16%) 6TiB Available
WinShare 596.4 GiB used (17%) 2.8TiB Available Compression lz4

It is a bit confusing, as I don't know if its 6TiB space left or 2.8TiB space left

If u created the raidz2 correctly, the first could be the total raw capacity, including the parity disks, the second the net without parity

avalon60

Guru
I did destroy the RAIDZ1 data pool after I moved all the data, then added the other new WD 2TB disk. This then gave me x4 2TB disks to create a RAIDZ2 configuration, and then I created the data sets. I moved all the data back onto or into the FreeNAS data sets, which took a couple of hours to complete.

Regarding the 2 different figures , as in my original post, is it a normal thing to happen, and does anyone else see 2 different figures for space used and available. When I created the RAIDZ2 configuration, in Volume manager, there were the 4 disks showing and it said there was 7.9TB of space.

Strangely enough, when I just had the x3 2TB disks in the RAIDZ1 configuration, I had a little more space left of 2.9TB if it is only2.8TB now

enemy85

Guru
4x2 TB hdds = 7,27 TiB = 1.2TiB used+ 6TiB Available
2x2 TB hdds = 3,63 TiB = 596.4 GiB used + 2.8TiB Available + snapshots

avalon60

Guru
4x2 TB hdds = 7,27 TiB = 1.2TiB used+ 6TiB Available
2x2 TB hdds = 3,63 TiB = 596.4 GiB used + 2.8TiB Available + snapshots

I am only referring to the x4 2TB disks which is for the WinShare volume
I'm not sure what you mean regarding the 2x2TB hdds =3.63TiB

I typed out what I could see in FreeNAS GUI, and don't know why it shows 2 different figures for the same volume.

I have another mirrored volume of x2 1TB disks which is just for backups, and there are 2 lines for that as well:
Backup_Data 219.7GiB (23%) Used 708.3GiB Available
Backup_Data 219.7GiB (24%) Used 679.3 Available

So on the 2 mirrored disks there is almost no difference between the 2 lines, but on the x4 disks RAIDZ2 volume there is a major difference.

Anyone know why this is.

enemy85

Guru
I am only referring to the x4 2TB disks which is for the WinShare volume
I'm not sure what you mean regarding the 2x2TB hdds =3.63TiB

I typed out what I could see in FreeNAS GUI, and don't know why it shows 2 different figures for the same volume.

I'll try to explain again in another way, hoping to be more clear...
the first line you see in the volume tab, represents the volume size considering ALL the 4 disks (that means including the 2 disks used for parity in a raidz2)
the second line instead, is the SAME VOLUME, but just considering the actual space usable for data (so just 2x2TB disks)...

hope now it's more clear

avalon60

Guru
Thanks, I understand it a bit better now.

So the first line tells me what the total size of all 4 disks is, and the second line tells me what available space is.
What that means now is that I can only have 2.8TiB of free space now, and if I want or need more I'll have to add another disk, if that is correct.

enemy85

Guru
You can't add just another disk...otherwise you will lose any redundancy!
Once created the volume, to keep your raidz2 redundancy and increase your storage space you have just 3 possibilities:

A) add others 4disks raidz2 vdevs
B) substitute all your 2TB disks (one per time, letting the system resilvering each time) with bigger ones: when ALL your disks will be bigger, your pool will increase size;
C) backup your data, destroy your pool, and start from scratch with more 2TB disks

avalon60

Guru
Thanks for the explanation. I will leave it as is for now, then when the available space gets a lot smaller, I will get bigger disks.

avalon60

Guru
I forgot to post this as well regarding my query.
Email from my FreeNAS box this morning. I have only posted what I think is relevant.

Checking status of zfs pools:
NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
Backup_Data 928G 220G 708G - 1% 23% 1.00x ONLINE /mnt
WinShare 5.44T 968G 4.49T - - 17% 1.00x ONLINE /mnt

How does this fit in with my original post/question, as this now gives more figures, as the size is different as is the free space.

Status
Not open for further replies.