Can not select version to upgrade to in FreeNAS 9.10

zimon

Contributor
I want to upgrade my FreeNAS 9.10 to 11 but I can not select any version to upgrade to in the WebGUI upgrade menu:

1696781276398.png

The drop down is just empty. When I hit on "check now" I receive the following error message in the logs:
Code:
Oct  8 18:02:50 theVault manage.py: [freenasOS.Configuration:727] Unable to load ['http://update.ixsystems.com/FreeNAS/trains.txt', 'http://update-master.ixsystems.com/FreeNAS/trains.txt']: HTTP Error 308: Permanent Redirect

A few weeks ago I could see all the available versions and since then my server was shut down,

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Consider a fresh installation with a supported release. FreeNAS 11 has been EOL for years.

zimon

Contributor
well that is what I am trying to do but I thought the best approach is to first upgrade to 11 and then to 12.1 especially when I have to migrate my warden jails somehow to iocage?

danb35

Hall of Famer
You're using an OS that's nearly eight years old, so it shouldn't be surprising that it's long since out of support (which would include any direct updates). But you should still be able to download a 11.x installer from here, boot that, and tell it to upgrade your existing installation. Then repeat with 12.0, then with 13.0.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
well that is what I am trying to do but I thought the best approach is to first upgrade to 11 and then to 12.1 especially when I have to migrate my warden jails somehow to iocage?
That time to migrate your warden jails was when 11.x was published. You can try with the method suggested by @danb35 but I would not bet on it working without issues. The problem is that not only your release is unsupported but also your entire upgrade path.

Last edited:

zimon

Contributor
That time to migrate your warden jails was when 11.x was published. You can try with the method suggested by @danb35 but I would not bet on it working without issues. The problem is that not only your release is unsupported but also your entire upgrade path.
But I will still need to migrate my warden jails right? when should I do that when I try the upgrade path suggsted by @danb35 ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
After installing 11.x. I wish you the best of luck but it might become necessary to recreate some or all jails from scratch.

zimon

Contributor
thank you, I will give it a try, but I don't expect the complete process to TrueNAS to be without any issues

Alecmascot

Guru
But I will still need to migrate my warden jails right? when should I do that when I try the upgrade path suggsted by @danb35 ?
After you install 11. There's lots in the forum.
This is a starter: