can not select Raid

Status
Not open for further replies.

abeksis

Dabbler
I decided to remove the raid card (made problems). After connecting directly to Hurd discs, installed the system. As shown in the attached picture I can not choose the raid array, please help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 15.15.57.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 15.15.57.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 258
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 15.29.07.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 15.29.07.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 246

abeksis

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply.

As you can see in the pictures - the system does not allow me to select RAID-Z or any other form only Mirror

danb35

Hall of Famer
RAIDZ1 requires a minimum of three disks, RAIDZ2 requires a minimum of four disks, and RAIDZ3 requires a minimum of five disks. You've only selected two disks. And in any event, the capacity of a RAIDZ array will be based on the size of the smallest disk, so you'll be wasting some space with your mismatched disk sizes--a RAIDZ1 array with three of your disks will have a net capacity of only about 2 TB.

abeksis

Dabbler
You can see that I have four disks - Although from different companies (other than 2). I want to understand, to make it possible to perform RAIDZ1 I need them to be the same size and from the same company?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes, I can see that you have four disks. I can also see in the Volume Manager window that you've only selected two of them, so the volume manager is only showing you configurations that are appropriate for those two disks. If you click on the + next to your 2 TB and 3 TB disks, it should add them to the pool, and then you should be able to choose a RAIDZ1 or RAIDZ2 configuration. However, it will likely complain that it isn't an optimal configuration because of the capacity mismatch.

It is not necessary that the member disks in a RAIDZ vdev all be the same capacity or the same brand. However, if the capacity is mismatched, your RAIDZ vdev's capacity will be based on the capacity of the smallest disk there. Thus, as I said above, if you create a three-disk RAIDZ1 volume, it will have to contain at least one of your 1 TB disks, so its net capacity will be about 2 TB. If you create a four-disk RAIDZ1 volume, its net capacity will be about 3 TB. You will, in effect, be wasting space (half of your 2 TB disk, and two-thirds of your 3 TB disk) until you replace your 1 TB and 2 TB disks with 3 TB disks.

abeksis

Dabbler
I tried doing what you said and it did not work. Can you help me configure it? By remote connection? I will provide you with teamviewer access

danb35

Hall of Famer
"It did not work" is not an acceptable description of the problem. Your system did something. You expected it to do something. All you've told me is that the "something" it did, and the "something" you expected, were not the same. You also haven't provided any of the information specified in the forum rules (they're located at the red link at the top center of the page), which could be relevant to determining what's going on (the ZFS Volume Manager works differently, for example, in different versions of FreeNAS).

If the ZFS volume manager is not allowing you to create a RAIDZ volume with mismatched disk sizes, you'll need to use the Manual Setup button at the lower right of that window. Consult section 6.3.4.2 of the manual for instructions on using this option.

Edit: you probably don't want to post that user ID and password in a public forum.

abeksis

Dabbler
You're right, but I have a problem in English to explain the right way .. I am using Google Translate. So I wanted to connect to my computer with teamviewer to check my problem, or I try to define the problem. Please Dosage, I've been 12 hours on it.

Last edited:

abeksis

Dabbler
After reading, I decided to arrange the settings by manually adding hd as recommended.

As you can see in the pictures, the total volume is 7 T hd, after adding Volume01, you can see the total volume of the hd is only 1.7 terabytes. Why?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 08.02.21.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 08.02.21.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 242
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 08.02.57.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 08.02.57.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 205
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 08.03.08.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-07 at 08.03.08.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
abeksis,

You may want to read our manual like I asked in the other thread. It actually covers problems like this and it should be "common sense" if you understand the manual. Also my noobie guide is a good place for some further information that has been gathered for users based on many many forum user's problems over the years.

Please read those documents before posting back. So far both of your threads could have been answered in the manual.

abeksis

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply,

You can direct me to the appropriate section for my problem?

abeksis

Dabbler
I found the answer:

"Manual Volume Creation
The "Manual Setup" button shown in Figure 6.3f can be used to create a non-optimal ZFS volume. While this is not recommended, it can, for example, be used to create a volume containing disks of different sizes or to put more than the recommended number of disks into a vdev.
NOTE: when using disks of differing sizes, the volume is limited by the size of the smallest disk. When using more disks than are recommended for a vdev, you increase resilvering time and the risk that more than the allowable number of disks will fail before a resilver completes. For these reasons, it is recommended to instead let the ZFS Volume Manager create an optimal pool for you, as described in ZFS Volume Manager, using same-size disks.
Figure 6.3g shows the "Manual Setup" screen and Table 6.3c summarizes the available options. "

The question is, will actually have the correct size? 7 terabytes

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There ya go!

danb35

Hall of Famer
NOTE: when using disks of differing sizes, the volume is limited by the size of the smallest disk.
...which is what I told you here:
And in any event, the capacity of a RAIDZ array will be based on the size of the smallest disk, so you'll be wasting some space with your mismatched disk sizes
...and here:
However, if the capacity is mismatched, your RAIDZ vdev's capacity will be based on the capacity of the smallest disk there.
After accounting for that, filesystem overhead, and GB/GiB conversion, your pool has a net capacity of 1.7 TB. That means that, ignoring compression, you can store 1.7 TB of data on it.

You're aware that there are non-English forums here, right? If there's one for your native language, you may find it easier to communicate there. You can find them here: http://forums.freenas.org/index.php#international.28

Status
Not open for further replies.