SOLVED Can I move a drive SATA position ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iXô

Dabbler
Hello,

I would like to move 2 drives of a raidZ2 array from the motherboard sata connectors to a LSI board.

When I have bought the board I had only 1 cable, which makes me unable to use the full potential of the board, now that I need the motherboard connectors, I will by the cable and want to move the drive to the board.

Is it possible ? does zfs care of the physical position, or can it found where are the discs during the import boot operation ?

Thanks.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello,

I would like to move 2 drives of a raidZ2 array from the motherboard sata connectors to a LSI board.

When I have bought the board I had only 1 cable, which makes me unable to use the full potential of the board, now that I need the motherboard connectors, I will by the cable and want to move the drive to the board.

Is it possible ? does zfs care of the physical position, or can it found where are the discs during the import boot operation ?

Thanks.
Whether your system cares about drives on motherboard vs drives on LSI card depends on the model / firmware of the HBA / raid card. Without more info the answer is 'possibly'.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
As long as the LSI card is in IT mode, it just functions as SAS/SATA ports and you can shuffle SATA drives around between any supported SAS/SATA port on a FreeNAS system with impunity.

iXô

Dabbler
Great ! I didn't take the fact that the LSI board wasn't in IT mode, as I think this if mandatory for ZFS / Freenas and LSI.

In fact, the question could have been asked without speaking of the LSI card.

So, you all confirmed that the physical position of a hard drive is not important for ZFS.

Thanks for all.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It's not even important to FreeBSD in general if you take advantage of GPT and labels, which is a Really Good Thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.