can I do what i want to do with sharing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethereal

Guru
hello there again.

presently i have two datasets Storage and Working with the permissions - User guest and Group guest. Shared at the root folder - Only allow guest access.

obviously i am worried that things will get deleted or edited that shouldn't - my wife has no interest in computers, my son is nearly 8 and i have huntington's disease.
i'd like to get things working safely before i go doolally.

1. i think i'll start with the Working dataset. Do i need to start by changing the permissions and what to ?

2. I have 9 folders inside the Working dataset do i need to share each folder individually ?

3. I have four computers backing up to the \\Working\Images folder
\\Working\Images\Andrew
\\Working\Images\HTPC
\\Working\Images\Laptop
\\Working\Images\Oct-Core
Will it be easy to allow full access to their individual folder/files but not modify any of the other folders/files on the Working dataset.

4. I have been reading around and i think i have a grasp of what to do but not how to do it. i am a permissions virgin. obviously having all my data shared as a guest is a disaster waiting to happen.

ethereal

Guru
If you're worried about accidentally deleting data, then I strongly recommend you enable snapshots if you've not already done so.

A snapshot will allow you to roll back changes to the file system.

http://doc.freenas.org/11/storage.html#snapshots

i have two scripts which hourly check my home videos and photographs folders for any changes.

i was hoping to setup permissions correctly so it's difficult to delete. most of my files are films or tv episodes. i will burn to dvd/bluray/hdd any files that will be difficult/impossible to replace.

m0nkey_

MVP
Check the Samba permissions videos in my signature. You probably want the advanced one to get an idea how to modify them.

ethereal

Guru
i've been trying for two days now and i can't get this to work when i try to connect to freenas it asks for a user/password and i can't get logged in.

the latest error is.

An error occurred reading the folder:
Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed.
Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again. (1219)

ethereal

Guru
okay - it seems to be a windows bug - if i tried \\FreeNAS\Imagestest it failed to mount but \\192.168.1.102\Imagestest worked

ethereal

Guru
i never could get things working correctly. permissions are guest - sharing is guest but i needed to enter my root username and password to access my two pools

Status
Not open for further replies.