Can I copy the data to another server keeping users rights ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

.FP.

Cadet
Hello,

I'm trying to mount a FreeNAS server to replace another with the same configuration (Import / Export of config)

How do I copy data from the old server to the new server while keeping the user rights on each folder and file.

This is a CIFS share that is set up on two servers.

Thank you for your help in advance

Regards,

Caesar

Contributor
I don't know for sure but an NFS share would be the native share that FreeBSD would use so I bet an NFS share would give you the best chances of preserving file permissions.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You can replicate from one server to another, but this might be more complicated than is needed, especially if you have no snapshots or other fancy ZFS complications. You could also rsync. But I'm old school...

A simple way to shuffle files around between UNIX systems is to use netcat and tar.

On the receiving system, change directories to where you want stuff to land, and do "nc -l 10000 | tar -xvf -" (note the trailing dash!) 10000 is an arbitrary port number between 1024-65535.

Then, on the sending system, do "tar -cf - . | nc <ip-address> 10000" (and note that some of the punctuation and whitespace are significant!)

Netcat is extremely touchy compared to the tool we use here but it is built-in, oh well. So just let it run without bothering it until it is done. nc will do all sorts of funny things if you try to suspend or interrupt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.