Can I clone my entire NAS with ZFS send + restore config?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdong

Explorer
I've outgrown my Avoton based NAS and took that as an opportunity to consolidate a couple servers into an energy-efficient Xeon-D 1541 config using ESXi with a passthrough IBM ServeRAID M1015 HBA. I've read enough into this configuration from a lot of the wonderful documentation and previous threads that I'm fairly comfortable with what will be involved.

Because this is an unfamiliar build for me, I'd feel a lot better if I can vet the configuration side by side. So I've ordered a new set of NAS drives and everything for the new NAS build, and intend on giving my old NAS to family once I'm comfortable the new setup works.

Migrating data is easy, but I'd rather not reconfigure all my plugins/jails.

So my question is, if you were to make a clone of your NAS and run both in parallel for a while, how would you recommend doing it? One idea was to use zfs send / zfs receive to copy the whole pool over (which would probably be a good stress test of the new setup anyway), then restore a backup of my current configuration to migrate all the jail configuration, etc. I wasn't sure if there'd be any GUIDs that would prevent the config backup from working with another NAS.

The other idea I had was to split the pool or do something at the pool level and then re-grow the redundancy. I don't love this approach because that does create a hazard window with no redundancy.

My current set up is stripe of mirrored vdevs... I've got 2x3TB, 2x3TB, 2x4TB, and migrating onto 2x4TB + 2x4TB.

Thanks in advance!

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant

jdong

Explorer
Wanted to update: this worked great! The only gotcha was, as clearly documented, passwords are forgotten (but usernames are restored)... other than that, all my jails and shares carried over without an issue.

Absolutely thrilled to upgraded from a 4-core Avoton to this 8-core Xeon-D beast.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Glad to hear it all worked out. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.