can freeNas manage multiple zpools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsqdivr

Cadet
Hi guys. I'm just learning about the zfs and freenas. While I'm intrigued but the features offered by ZFS, I'm concerned about creating a storage array(zpool) that, if expanded, could be totally lost if any vdev fails.

I have searched but cannot find a direct answer to this question: Is it possible for freeNas to manage more than one zpool? If so, why is that not advised? My thinking is that if one zpool was lost, the entire server data will not be lost. Thanks.

gpsguy

Yes, it can. One example, might be for backup to an eSATA drive, where it might be a single drive in it's own pool.

For more information about vdev's, etc. read Cyberjock's guide

rsqdivr

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. I have 2 concerns about your suggestion though:

1.) the Cyberjock's guide specifically advises against eSATA drive use and especially single drive vdevs because a single drive failure would cause a loss of the entire zpool.

2.) My question is, can FreeNas manage more than one ZPOOL at the same time (not vdevs. I understand the vdev expansions). The guide only refers to adding additional vdevs to "the" zpool. I understand I can expand the zpool but again, if any vdev is lost, the whole pool is lost. For safety, is there an ability to manage multiple zpools (composed of vdevs) with the same FreeNas build so that "if" one zpool was lost, all of the server data is not lost (only the affected zpool is lost)?

Example:
Let's say I want to setup my photo RAW files and export images in a zpool of their own so their integrity isn't impacted by a catastrophic failure of the zpool that serves my generic files, video streaming files, etc. Can 1 machine and FreeNas build manage them as different volumes (not just vdevs of the same zpool)? I would expect the spools to be on different physical arrays completely. Something like this:

FreeNas build:
Zpool-1 (i.e. Volume 1)​
- 4 x 3TB Raid-Z2 (holding all photo files)​
Zpool-2 (i.e. Volume 2)​
- 5 x 2TB Raid-Z2 (holding all HTPC medial files)​

david kennedy

Explorer
This is standard functionality of ZFS and should be supported in freenas without issue. I've had two different pools in my freens server before.

gpsguy

As David Kennedy said, your example is supported.

Some user's may need separate arrays to meet their needs. For everyday data, they might have a RAIDz2 array. For their iSCSI needs, they might have an additional array consisting of striped ZFS mirrors.

As to my comment about eSATA drives, it was a simplistic use case, for a separate zpool. Imagine someone with just 2Tb of data in a ZFS mirror. One might use eSATA to back it up to another single drive vdev/zpool. And, rotate that disk for another, once a week/month, etc. If one lost one of these disks - it's just a backup. One still have the original ZFS mirror and the other backup hard disk, that's sitting offsite.

What cyberjock is talking about, are user's who use a single drive for their primary storage. Or, the bad case where someone has a RAIDz2 zpool, and trys to extend it with a single disk (vdev). Fortunately, in later versions of FreeNAS, the gui prevents one from doing it. But, had folks do it, then show up here, asking how to undo it. Unfortunately, it's requires one to rebuild their pool. We do suggest that they add a mirror to the singular drive, to give them some protection, while they figure out how/where to backup their data.

Cyberjock's guide specifically advises against eSATA drive use and especially single drive vdevs because a single drive failure would cause a loss of the entire zpool.

rsqdivr

Cadet
ok, thanks for the info guys. I'll play with it and check it out. It seems strange to me that this functionality isn't better explained in any resource I've seen. I've not seen an example or illustration showing multiple zpools at the same time. Thanks again. :smile:

MDKRUSH

Explorer
rsqdivr,
Did you get it working the way you wanted? I am setting up almost exactly the same thing...

Did you setup any plugins? How did you determin what zpool they were on?

I haven't tried setting it up yet as my stuff doesn't arrive till next week...

Thanks!

I am also curious if this is as easy as seems it should be. I will be running 2 different mirrored ZFS pools after my 2 new 3tb drives arrive, one for main storage and the other for a safety backup.

gpsguy

Is your safety backup, a backup of the main storage?

If so, you might want to consider another option. Will you backup data fit on a single drive? You might want to back up to one, and on a rotating basis, swap it out with the other one. Read the Please validate my backup thread for some ideas.

... one for main storage and the other for a safety backup.

Sorry I didn't elaborate far enough. I will have 2-2tb drives in one mirrored pool and 2-3tb drives in another. The 2tb pool is for my media, the other pool will be the backup for that and stuff like my windows backups and non-essential files.

Status
Not open for further replies.