Can FreeNAS cause internet connection loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiknNutz

Patron
Hey, trying to pinpoint an issue I have been having for some time now, hard to say exactly how long, but at least as long as I've had my FreeNAS server running, which is now a couple of years I think. Anyway, have Frontier DSL (only thing I can get outside of satellite) and have had techs come out several times due to crappy internet. The short of it is my internet connection drops all the time, like multiple times a day sometimes. It is sporadic, but pretty frequent. I'd say the longest I can go w/o it going down is a few days but it is typically daily or multiple times per day. Had a tech come out again yesterday and they replaced the modem, again, only with a newer model. However, it has dropped at least twice since he was out yesterday afternoon. He suggested it could be due to the server though he knows nothing about the server specifically, just that it exists. I use my FreeNAS primarily as a media server, but also for central file storage. He mentioned this because he noticed I have several static IP addresses going thru the modem (the various plugins). I have the following plugins running:

1. Plexmediaserver
  2. Headphones
  3. Couchpotato
  4. Sabnzbd
  5. Sonarr
I really have no idea if any of these can cause internet connection loss, but thought I would ask. I initially thought there was no way they could but I am admittedly not very knowledgeable about intermediate and advanced networking stuff.

melloa

Wizard
No, your NAS has nothing to do with your DSL dropping. As you are using it as media and storage serve primarily, that traffic is mostly local. Keep your eye on the broadband router, see if it loses sync, check its log, etc.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
When the modem was replaced, was the power supply also replaced?

ChiknNutz

Patron
When the modem was replaced, was the power supply also replaced?

Yes, new power supply along with the modem/router.

garm

Wizard
He mentioned this because he noticed I have several static IP addresses going thru the modem (the various plugins).

When you say "through the modem" do you mean that each jail has its own WAN IP?

In that case you might very well be overloading the modem.

ChiknNutz

Patron
I have each plugin setup with a corresponding jail, each of which has a unique IP address. This is all per the documentation, nothing unique or oddball that I am aware of. Example, the IP address of my modem is 192.168.254.xxx, each jail is 192.168.254.1, .2, .3, .4 and so on.

Are you forwarding ports to the jails or putting them in the DMZ is what the question is. IF you were exposing a jail to outside access and someone was doing certain things flooding the connection with marginal signal levels it COULD cause the connection to drop I however doubt that is the case.

Anyway I would suggest logging into the DSL modem and check your signal levels. In all honesty the people over around https://www.dslreports.com/forum/frontiernet would probably be a real good help for figuring out internet related problems.

BTW this gives you an idea of what the levels should be in a modem, and I know it's AT&T designated but DSL is DSL for levels https://www.dslreports.com/faq/6734

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
My money is strongly on "Frontier sux b/\11z"

Status
Not open for further replies.