Can ESXi act as a switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Any cables passing those spaces are effectively "glued" in place.
Sounds like your building code needs a serious overhaul. That what cable ducts are for - the problem then becomes ensuring that all the tubes are appropriately sized for future requirements.

All serious construction around here is brick and concrete, so we've had your problem for quite a while now. Electrical, telecomms and water supplies are run inside ducts.

/offtopic

Interesting, I wonder when these started showing up? The power limits on SFP+ were said to be pretty strict for 10GBaseT transceivers.

rvassar

Guru
All serious construction around here is brick and concrete, so we've had your problem for quite a while now. Electrical, telecomms and water supplies are run inside ducts.

/offtopic

The US has vast untapped forests, and Texas still does stick build with brick/stone/stucco exteriors. I certainly wish I had paid more attention at the time. Or at the very least taken more pictures during the framing, so I could go back and figure out where & how the cables were run. Getting Cat5e was covered during a 5 minute meeting with the AV & electrical foreman, at the end of a 3+ hours build planning meeting. During that 5 minutes I managed to cover a 50 amp 240v plug in the garage for a future electric vehicle, 225 amp main panel, a whole house surge suppressor, and flippantly answered "yes" when asked if I wanted ethernet wiring. :D

Interesting, I wonder when these started showing up? The power limits on SFP+ were said to be pretty strict for 10GBaseT transceivers.

The first one has a 10GbE 30m length restriction in the listing. That is significantly less than 802.3an-2006's 100m on Cat 6a.

Status
Not open for further replies.