Status
Not open for further replies.

Inxsible

Guru
my case : Fractal Design Node 304
my PSU : Corsair CS450M
  • 1 molex cable ending in 3 connectors
  • 2x SATA power cable with 2 connectors each
  • 1 floppy connector (useless for my build)
  • 1x 6+2 PCIE connector (not connected)
The Node 304 is a small case for those who didn't know and managing the cables is a challenge if not impossible.

I have been trying to fix the cable management in my Node304 build and I was looking at Stux's Node 304 Build report, and it seems he has connected 3 drives using a single cable run from the PSU. That would mean that with 2 cable runs he has connected all 6 drives.

Now, I have 2 cable runs from my PSU, but they have only 2 SATA connectors each. So I have 4 drives connected with the 2x SATA power cables. In order to connect all 6 drives what would you suggest I do?

1. Can I use molex-to-sata Y-splitters on each of the 3 connectors and connect all 6 drives to 1 molex cable? I have seen a few posts where it is mentioned that there should be no more than 4 drives of a molex connector. This would only have 2 per. But did those posts mean 4 drives per molex cable by any chance? This option would be the least number of cables in the box which would be great.
  2. Another option would be to use 2 molex-to-sata Y-splitters or 1 Y-splitter + 2 molex-to-sata adapter and connect 4 drives using the molex cable run. 2 remaining drives would be connected using 1 SATA power cable
  3. Keep 4 drives connected using the 2 SATA power cables and use the molex cable to connect the remaining 2 drives using 2 molex-to-sata adapters
  4. Or buy this as suggested by Stux in one of his posts and connect 4 drives to 1 molex connector and 2 remaining drives can be off of a SATA power cable or even using molex-to-sata adapter (from the 2 remaining molex connectors off the cable)

What would be best in terms of cable management, but at the same time NOT frying any of my disks? Any pointers would be appreciated.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
my case : Fractal Design Node 304
my PSU : Corsair CS450M
  • 1 molex cable ending in 3 connectors
  • 2x SATA power cable with 2 connectors each
  • 1 floppy connector (useless for my build)
  • 1x 6+2 PCIE connector (not connected)
The Node 304 is a small case for those who didn't know and managing the cables is a challenge if not impossible.

I have been trying to fix the cable management in my Node304 build and I was looking at Stux's Node 304 Build report, and it seems he has connected 3 drives using a single cable run from the PSU. That would mean that with 2 cable runs he has connected all 6 drives.

Now, I have 2 cable runs from my PSU, but they have only 2 SATA connectors each. So I have 4 drives connected with the 2x SATA power cables. In order to connect all 6 drives what would you suggest I do?

1. Can I use molex-to-sata Y-splitters on each of the 3 connectors and connect all 6 drives to 1 molex cable? I have seen a few posts where it is mentioned that there should be no more than 4 drives of a molex connector. This would only have 2 per. But did those posts mean 4 drives per molex cable by any chance? This option would be the least number of cables in the box which would be great.
  2. Another option would be to use 2 molex-to-sata Y-splitters or 1 Y-splitter + 2 molex-to-sata adapter and connect 4 drives using the molex cable run. 2 remaining drives would be connected using 1 SATA power cable
  3. Keep 4 drives connected using the 2 SATA power cables and use the molex cable to connect the remaining 2 drives using 2 molex-to-sata adapters
  4. Or buy this as suggested by Stux in one of his posts and connect 4 drives to 1 molex connector and 2 remaining drives can be off of a SATA power cable or even using molex-to-sata adapter (from the 2 remaining molex connectors off the cable)

What would be best in terms of cable management, but at the same time NOT frying any of my disks? Any pointers would be appreciated.
I would but proper power cables with 3 connections each.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Or buy this as suggested by Stux in one of his posts and connect 4 drives to 1 molex connector and 2 remaining drives can be off of a SATA power cable or even using molex-to-sata adapter (from the 2 remaining molex connectors off the cable)
If @Stux suggested it, you might want to go with it... He knows things.

Inxsible

Guru
Thanks. I have ordered the required parts to fix the cable management in my box.

Evertb1

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.