C2750D4i w or w/o SAS HBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadamwil

Explorer
A good while ago I built a FreeNAS box using an ASRock C2750D4i, 16GB of ECC ram, a 64GB Intel SSD for boot and 8x WD Red drives, all of which will be 4TB drives later this week. My questions is does a C2750D4i need a SAS HBA for better performance? If so, is the Highpoint RocketRAID 2720SGL a good HBA? I have this all in a Silverstone DS380 case, and I don't have much room for a SAS HBA. I am sure the Highpoint 2720 will fit, but not many others would. Any advise would be appreciated.

Adam

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
A good while ago I built a FreeNAS box using an ASRock C2750D4i, 16GB of ECC ram, a 64GB Intel SSD for boot and 8x WD Red drives, all of which will be 4TB drives later this week. My questions is does a C2750D4i need a SAS HBA for better performance? If so, is the Highpoint RocketRAID 2720SGL a good HBA? I have this all in a Silverstone DS380 case, and I don't have much room for a SAS HBA. I am sure the Highpoint 2720 will fit, but not many others would. Any advise would be appreciated.

Adam
You might want to search for that model system board here on the forum. There are several of these that have had problems and users were able to get a replacement even though it was out of warranty because of a defect in the system board.

As for the rocket raid. It is one to avoid.

Look at the resources section of the Forum for a thread named something like, don't be afraid to be SAS sy...
It was written by one of the mods if I recall correctly. Real good information about SAS in FreeNAS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Redcoat

MVP
If you are making one-for-one HDD replacements on the mobo ports you have, why would you need an HBA? You have 8 SATA3 6Gb/s ports now.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If you are making one-for-one HDD replacements on the mobo ports you have, why would you need an HBA? You have 8 SATA3 6Gb/s ports now.
He was asking if it would give better performance.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Status
Not open for further replies.