BUILD C224 / C226 chipset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyt

Dabbler
Is there any difference (from a freenas perspective) between the 224 and 226 chipset? - All I am seeing is the 6 sata 3 on the 226 and the 4 stata 2 - 2 stata 2 on the 224. For other differences, Not sure what Flexible I/O is or if the intel management stuff makes a difference for freenas.

I have the mobo choices down the the two asrock rack e3 mini itx and the supermicro x10slm(h) uatx boards. Since they all have 6 sata ports on intel controllers, is it worth the extra cash to go with the 226 chipset?

As far as cases, depending on the mobo, it will either be a lian li q25 or a FD node 304 or the FD design mini black :)

Use is home data storage (tunes, pics, docs) / general backup of files, surveillance camera storage, and blu ray rips that will be streamed to xbmc pc. Network is single GB, no link agg.

will probably end up getting 4 3tb drives in either z1 or striped config. 6tb is a good storage number. Maybe will go to 5 drives for z2 but thats still being worked out.

I am running a test freenas on an old pentium with 2 1gb drives in striped config with 1tb of storage and its been great. I get about 90-95m on CIFS shares file transfers. Also running ftp and an NFS share.

thanks in advance for any comments you may have.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
For HDDs, SATA 6Gb/s instead of 3Gb/s makes no measurable difference. For SSDs, if you're not running six of them at full load (the PCH has limited upstream connectivity), the extra device bandwidth may be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.