Build me a rack mountable server for under $1,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimPhreak

Contributor
So since I've decided to take the plunge and go rack mountable, I'm looking to piece together my server now. I'd like to the chassis to be able to fit 12-20 drives even though I'll only be putting 8 in for starters. I already have the drives so the $1,000 budget is just for the server itself. This server will be storing mainly media but I will also but using it to do snapshop backups of my VM's as well as backups for the local PC's in my house.

I welcome all suggestions.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd recommend you put together a full build list and let people critique it. We've created stickies to help with some decision making. Feel free to use them. And search the forums for other builds to see what others have used and like or don't like.

JimPhreak

Contributor
How about you put together a full build and let people critique it? You aren't going to get responses if you are asking everyone else to do what really should be your homework for you.

We've created stickies to help with some decision making. Feel free to use them. And search the forums for other builds to see what others have used and like or don't like.

Do the SuperMicro X9 boards support the IB Xeon's? All I see is them saying they support 2nd generation Xeons.

JimPhreak

Contributor
This is what I've put together so far:

$150 - Supermicro X9SCM-B LGA1155
$200 - Xeon E3 1230V2 3.3GHz
$200-ish - 16GB ECC (Haven't decided if I need 1600Mhz or if 1333 is enough. Also debating buying used or new)
$100 - IBM ServeRAID M1015
$85 - SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W PSU

I have an 8GB flash drive for the OS and I have 8x 2TB Hitachi Deskstar 7k3000 drives to get started. I need to pick a chassis and is there anything else I'm missing?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
A decent chassis is going to run you quite a bit. While there are some like Norco, the reality is that once you're done outfitting a power supply and figuring out how to engineer the cooling so that your drives don't actually cook, you're nearing the price of a Supermicro chassis like the sc826tq-r500lpb (12 drives, individual SATA connectors).

JimPhreak

Contributor
A decent chassis is going to run you quite a bit. While there are some like Norco, the reality is that once you're done outfitting a power supply and figuring out how to engineer the cooling so that your drives don't actually cook, you're nearing the price of a Supermicro chassis like the sc826tq-r500lpb (12 drives, individual SATA connectors).

Would these work?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yup, basically the same thing but with an 800W supply. Assuming they are in good condition, it is a reasonable choice.

notes: with such a large supply you might be outside the efficiency zone of the supply. for comparison an e5-2697v2 with 128gb and 12 4tb drives on a m1015 idles at 190w, peaks around 320.

the chassis might only include a single supply. verify that this config won't create an alarm, or that the alarm can be silenced by switch, jumper, or dykes.

be aware that's a low profile chassis and full height cards will not fit.

vegaman

Explorer
You could also look at the SC846 line of chassis. The 3.5" models have 24 drive bays and you can use full height cards.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes, for a 24 drive chassis, the SC846 is quite pleasant, but also more expensive. Occasionally a good deal flies by on eBay.

rovan

Dabbler
Any comment on noise of the SC846? Would this be annoying in a quiet study environment :)?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Most rackmounts are designed for high static pressure (i.e. "forced") air cooling. This most certainly applies to the storage chassis units, where the amount of air available for cooling is relatively minimal because you have 12 or 24 drives nearly blocking the way, and the fans are working hard to overcome that, using what is perhaps a millimeter gap above and below the disks in order to bring in airflow to cool not only the drives, but also the rest of the system.

The Supermicros, when combined with appropriate mainboards and IPMI settings, are actually kind of quiet compared to some other gear once they've booted and settled down, but I would not give them points for "quiet". On the other hand, the SC846 here is quietER than the stack of three ethernet switches in the rack plus their redundant power supply, which emit a steady dull roar.

Ultimately you have to deal with the heat somehow. Not using a chassis that has the drives stacked in an airflow-resistant manner gives you more opportunity for passive and low static pressure cooling strategies. We have some nice ESXi nodes that are very quiet because they were built in a 4U chassis, with variable speed fans, a massive heatsink on the CPU, and no hot 3.5" drives (all 2.5" HDD and SSD). Low heat means the fans run slow. Oversized heatsink means that even when the CPU is running full tilt, it can throw away the heat easily and the fans don't need to rev. Most providers would stick these in 1U or as part of a blade server, but then they'd require a lot more to keep them cool.

rovan

Dabbler
Excellent Food for thought. The garage is looking a lot more attractive for this purpose now :P

Status
Not open for further replies.