Build backup FreeNAS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

themagicm

Cadet
I have FreeNAS 9.2.1.7 running on a server. It runs great which is why I havent even bothered to update to anything newer.

I have another server, exactly the same hardware, running Solaris. I probably sync FreeNAS to the Solaris box once every 2 months. The problem is with rsync from Solaris, it syncs everything no matter what commands I use to say only sync what's been changed so my sync takes quite some time. In addition to this, I'm ready to leave Solaris :-(

I'm going to blow away the Solaris box and am wondering how I should build it. Should i install the same vers of FreeNAS, then save the config from the original FreeNAS and upload to the new server? If so, I'm assuming it'll recreate the shares/rpools and the complete config on this way? HD specs are exactly the same make/model like on the FreeNAS server.

Arwen

MVP
It would be helpful to know the specifications of your hardware. Plus, are you using ZFS?

For example, today, the minimum RAM is 8GBs. And while 8GB is the minimum for boot devices, they tend to work better at 16GBs, (so you can have more than a few boot environments). Last, FreeNAS 9.3, 9.10 and 11 are all ZFS only. Prior to that you could have had UFS storage.

themagicm

Cadet
It would be helpful to know the specifications of your hardware. Plus, are you using ZFS?

For example, today, the minimum RAM is 8GBs. And while 8GB is the minimum for boot devices, they tend to work better at 16GBs, (so you can have more than a few boot environments). Last, FreeNAS 9.3, 9.10 and 11 are all ZFS only. Prior to that you could have had UFS storage.

I'm not interested in any other BE. Just simply to build another FreeNAS server. Only need the questions answered in my original post.

enemy85

Guru
Should i install the same vers of FreeNAS, then save the config from the original FreeNAS and upload to the new server? If so, I'm assuming it'll recreate the shares/rpools and the complete config on this way? HD specs are exactly the same make/model like on the FreeNAS server.

Hi,
you can install the last version of FreeNAS (11 U3) and than just upload your old config. Or you can stick with the version you are using if you prefer

Last edited by a moderator:

Inxsible

Guru
I'm not interested in any other BE. Just simply to build another FreeNAS server. Only need the questions answered in my original post.
Isn't that what @Arwen is trying to do?

If you are not willing to answer questions about what your hardware specs are, how are we to answer your question of whether things will work?

Arwen

MVP
In the case of FreeNAS 9.3.x and later, the alternate boot environments allow graceful updates of the FreeNAS software. Just like Solaris 11. Meaning for every new FreeNAS update, a new BE is created for the update. Simple reboot makes it effective. If it goes south, a simple reboot puts you back to before the update.

So, my questions were related to whether you could even run a newer version of FreeNAS.

But, there is nothing stopping you from using the same version. Especially if you are happy with it.

themagicm

Cadet
In the case of FreeNAS 9.3.x and later, the alternate boot environments allow graceful updates of the FreeNAS software. Just like Solaris 11. Meaning for every new FreeNAS update, a new BE is created for the update. Simple reboot makes it effective. If it goes south, a simple reboot puts you back to before the update.

So, my questions were related to whether you could even run a newer version of FreeNAS.

But, there is nothing stopping you from using the same version. Especially if you are happy with it.

Thank you Arwen from Middle Earth :smile:

Yep, I knew what you were getting at, just wanted to get to the nitty gritty. I just havent update FreeNAS since it works great and I really dont use it for anything other than a NAS and sharing out movies. Works perfect for that. I'm sure I can use a newer version of FreeNAS just wondered how easy it would be to configure it. Just wanting a quick way of bringing up another FreeNAS server without spending too much time on it. What I have now "works" other than syncing, takes forever when resending everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.