SOLVED BTX halted - gptzfsboot: error 4 - FreeNAS 11.2 Upgrade

Hi,

I upgraded from FreeNAS 11.1-U6 to FreeNAS 11.2 yesterday, everything went fine and all was working, I rebooted today and am now unable to get FreeNAS to come back up as it gets stuck on loading with gptzfsboot: error 4 and BTX halted. It is running on a HP Gen 8 Microserver, the FreeNAS install is on an internal drive, not a USB drive or SD card, any ideas as to what could be causing this and what steps I could take to resolve this?

Many thanks,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 14.20.55.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 14.20.55.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,118
I have the same machine and I have the exact same error after upgrading to 11.2. Only the number in the line gptzfsboot differ from yours.

Can you tell me how to change to AHCI?
Is this procedure safe? I am asking because the NAS contains all family pics and vids.

I have the same machine and I have the exact same error after upgrading to 11.2. Only the number in the line gptzfsboot differ from yours.

Can you tell me how to change to AHCI?
Is this procedure safe? I am asking because the NAS contains all family pics and vids.

Do you have raid currently setup on your drives? If not, you need to go into the BIOS and change the sata controller to AHCI, this hopefully should fix the issue for you.

I have a Raid 1 with 2 Seagate drives. 8TB each. Maybe it would be better to remove one drive, hook it to another machine and copy at least the pics and vids. Or is that a risky procedure, too?

Long story short:
I switched in the BIOS-Settings , after backing everything up, from B120i to AHCI, moved disks to slots 3 and 4; to free the faster slots for bigger disks; and 11.2-U3. Still didn't work.
A freshly bought USB-Stick solved the problem. Data was still accessible, even after all the changes.
Nonetheless backup before trying, just saying.

blanchet

Guru
I have also a HP MicroServer Gen8 with FreeNAS.

For the boot device, I use a Kingston A400 120GB SSD SATA + Sabrent USB3-to-Sata3 adapter
I connect the USB adapter to the internal USB connector on the mainboard, and I fasten the Kingston SSD with a plastic clamp in the empty CDROM slot.
I setup the B120i to AHCI in the BIOS.

I had never boot problem when upgrading FreeNAS.